• My son's first NYA freight train

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Legio X

This morning after an appointment at a nearby doctor's office, I took my seven-month old son over to Mineola station in his stroller. As soon as we got there, I looked down the line to the west and saw a headlight coming over the rise down by Herricks Rd. I could tell it was'nt a DE/DM....it was a GP38-2 in dark green paint pulling freight. I picked my son up, and helped him to wave to the crew as they roared through the station. I know the engineer has to blow the horn as he goes through because of the grade crossings, but I think he saw us and saw my son waving and gave him an extra toot or two. My son's eyes were wide with wonder at the noise, smoke, motion and roar of the locomotives. Thank you, guys. I hope your run went well, and you guys did'nt suffer too much from the heat.

By the way, where was this train headed? (E/B through Mineola at 1030 am)

by emfinite

It was the RS-30 destined for the Port Jeff branch.
Last edited by emfinite on Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

by JMBethpage

Yes, I saw the same train at Hicksville Divide at 10:40 headed along the PJ branch. Led by engines 268/155 and pulling 6 cars, it passed Divide W/B at 1:57.

by Jayjay1213

I was the 30engr and remember seeing you and your son, i tried to blow a little softer then normal. It was swamp ass for everyone in the cab and the 268 sh%& the bed as soon as we left Pond so we were really running with only 1 engine. I know the 268 was making noise, but it was producing no power.

Jason

by jayrmli

Gotta love those P&W rebuilds! So far, they've made great dummy units. :wink:

Jay

by DogBert

jayrmli wrote:Gotta love those P&W rebuilds! So far, they've made great dummy units. :wink:

Jay
That's just plain sad. Were they better before the 'rebuild' and did the fix come with a warranty?

by Scrap em All

I only ran them twice since their "rebuilds". First time was a week after they arrived on a stone train to Prima. Second time was to Bridgehampton last week and the 268 barely pulled as Jay has mentioned. It got a fuel system problem now. 261 punctured its fuel tank 2 weeks ago on debris laid on the track by "troubled inner-city youth". It is being repaired at the moment.
I got to say that they do ride a hell of alot better and there are no problems with their new traction motors or wheels. No work was done to the prime mover itself or major electrical components. So the current problems are due to lack of care for the mentioned components.

by Legio X

If no work is going to be done on the prime mover and main generator, why bother....????

by SeldenJrFireman

After going to school, the NYA can Hire me as a Master Certified Diesel Tech and will have them engines runnin as if they were brand new!

by Legio X

You need the parts, son......Will NYA get you the parts????

by SeldenJrFireman

true. Guess i cant run down to napa and get them.
  by railfan365

i was just perusing osme of the old stuff, and I'm curious - how are the GP units running now?
  by mirrodie

From the looks of their movement out of Pinelawn yesterday at 333pm, I'd say they are in great shape.

271 and 268 spewing lots of smoke on a crisp last day of 2012 heading east.