• Silverliner V: Progress Reports

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Matthew Mitchell

jtaeffner wrote:win. that, or the remainder of the west chester line.
Now the second thing is you have no choice over who supplies the piece of equipment or infrastructure. In the case of the ALP-44, it integrated reasonably well with the rest of the fleet. The CBTC system for the SSL was so [fouled] up that SEPTA had to sink millions of its own dollars into making it usable. If you get the cash damages, you not only get to decide when to acquire the asset in question, you also get to decide who to get it from and how it's gonna be designed. An in-kind settlement, you not only lose the difference between it and the cash damages, you lose the profit to the supplier and you either have to leave out components to hold it to the value of the settlement or gold-plate it unnecessarily.

Did I mention it's really not in the best interests of the system to do these in-kind settlements, and that they need to be looked at with utmost suspicion until you are confident there are no bodies buried somewhere deep within?
  by jslader

Saw this guy testing Friday morning.....
  by BuddCar711

jslader wrote:Saw this guy testing Friday morning.....
Are they 879/880? Does CSX deliver during the holiday season?
  by Matthew Mitchell

BuddCar711 wrote:Does CSX deliver during the holiday season?
One of you guys who are on the roster, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the freight railroads pretty much shut down completely for 48 hours at Christmas. There may be a few operations for customers who really need the deliveries, like power plants and intermodal.
  by Silverliner II

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
BuddCar711 wrote:Does CSX deliver during the holiday season?
One of you guys who are on the roster, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the freight railroads pretty much shut down completely for 48 hours at Christmas. There may be a few operations for customers who really need the deliveries, like power plants and intermodal.
That's about the size of it...
  by BuddCar711

Well I didn't mean Christmas Eve and Christmas. What I've meant was from the 26th to the 30th does CSX deliver.
  by aem7

No new car pickup scheduled until January.
  by jslader

Late nite Friday testing. Actually missed the train running the test track, around 8:30-9:00. After running my family home came back after 11 to find 879/880 resting on the lead to the test track. Thought about getting a nice shot from I-95 (looked really good). Then I thought about it some more.....
  by ExCon90

I didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but I'm wondering whether it would be possible to have The Alvinator record new on-board announcements for the V's to replace that woman with the quavering voice and idiosyncratic pronunciation.

Those in favor .......... ?
  by Matthew Mitchell

ExCon90 wrote:I didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but I'm wondering whether it would be possible to have The Alvinator record new on-board announcements for the V's to replace that woman with the quavering voice and idiosyncratic pronunciation.
DVARP already asked several months ago (this is what started the action on revising the text of the first-generation announcements and the ongoing revisitation of express/limited/local designations). While it ought to be possible (it's done in software), SEPTA did not want to do it.
  by BuddCar711

ExCon90 wrote:I didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but I'm wondering whether it would be possible to have The Alvinator record new on-board announcements for the V's to replace that woman with the quavering voice and idiosyncratic pronunciation.

Those in favor .......... ?

Replace Cirie? Anyhoo, how about the voice from the old automated announcements on the B-IV Broad Street cars?