• Interesting consist at Sayville - 3/21

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Legio X

Has the LIRR ever had anyone competent at the highest levels, who would listen to the experienced old-hands in the equipment, maintenance, signals, etc. departments, or has it always been like it was with the idiot who insisted on these DE/DM engines, rather than, say, a GP-60M or something like that?

by 9C1LT1

Thats what I always thought LIRR would get, stock EMD GP-60M's and Bomb. cars. Then they could have built a 1 door high level platform instead of full high level platforms at the stations, to save money. Plus the flexability of equipment as everyone has pointed out.
On a side note I would have kept 2 ALCO FA's (614 & 607) reengined them and that would have made some nice Cannon-Ball power!

-Barry
  by freightguy

What sort of work are the DM/DE's getting done at Juniata? I see the 506 is still in Altoona, PA. Didn't some of the work have to be done in NY state on the new fleet as part of the agreement with the purchase of the new engines? I guess that couldn't of helped. Which ones are more prone to break downs the 400 or 500 series?

One night we had a problem on the freight with the rear engine not drawing amps in one direction. I think we had around 30 cars that night and started to lose alot of speed. The movement bureau had us patched through to one of the master diesel mechanics and he tried to troubleshoot over the phone, but we couldn't fix it. At a slower than usual rate we finally made it back to our terminal where we met him. It was a GP38-2 and he fixed the loading problem in about 2 seconds. He than went on to express his disgust for the new fleet and how problematic the engines are. He couldn't emphasize enough how much he missed the GP38's. He told us the new fleet is very difficult to troubleshoot in field with all the computer software. "These engines were one of the biggest mistakes the railroad ever made."

by Clemuel

To answer Legio X's political question, yes the LIRR has seen competent management at times at high levels. As the Railroad is owned by the State, the president's job was, for a good time, quite political.

It's often the positions under the president that fail to carry the ball.

To be technically competent, politically competent and competent in managing a union workforce is quite a large bill. Then throw in the lousy pay and the nature of the job (24-hour/day, safety sensitive, public visibility) and it's difficult to draw quality leadership.

I understand that Trustee William Weyer was a competent leader as well as was Thomas Goodfellow, both in the pre-State ownership days.

Robin H.H. Wilson was a genetleman who attempted to bring the shops into the 20th Century but underestimated the political clout of the unions and the lack of MTA support against the old practices. Ken Bauer was a really nice fellow, but his experience was limited to finances. He lack the political clout to keep above water.

Frank Gabreski was a personal friend and probably the best the Railroad had seen in recient times. A working man's hero, he rallied the forces, brought pride to Company, stood up against silly decisions and negotiated fairly with the Unions. Unfortunately, he played rather recklessly politically, overestimating the security of public opinion.

In a television interview, he stated "The only problem with the LIRR is the MTA". That type of Robert Moses chest-beating didn't pass muster in 1983/4. It ended his career.

Much of the "can-do" mantra that hallmarked a Railroad that spend decades making due with nothing died when Frank left. After that, it was pretty much "tax and spend" around the place.

Clem

by Legio X

Ahh, yes, Francis Gabreski. I should've remembered him. He's known more as one of America's best fighter pilots during World War II, flying Republic P-47 Thunderbolts against the German Luftwaffe. I believe he may also have returned to active duty during the Korean War, flying Republic F-84 Thunderjet fighter-bombers against the North Koreans and Red Chinese. How did he get involved with railroading, specifically, the LIRR?
I believe it was during his administration that the snow blower that was kept at Hicksville Yard back in the '80's was named Thunderbolt. Did any other equipment get fighter aircraft nicknames back during his time at the helm?

by 9C1LT1

Don't forget Francis Gabreski allowed the public to get Legel cab rides!!! All you had to do is write a letter, it was also the commuters choice of equipment. My dad wrote in and chose a GP-38-2, still have the Super-8 Movie of it! Whats the odds of that happening today!

-Barry

by 9C1LT1

Must have been nice!

by NIMBYkiller

Sounds like the kinda thing I'd let people do if I were runnin a RR.

by Clemuel

Yes, that was the "People to People" program which was modeled after a cab ride program of the late 1950's that was incredibly successful.

Like most programs on the railroad, it never officially was terminated. It just lost momentum and died after about a year.

A quarter of the people used the opportunity to ride in the cab as a chance to bitch about service, fares and the railroad. The rest were truly interested in the operation.

The railroad recruited people from it exploding management ranks to accompany the passengers, meeting them at a mutually agreed station and inviting them into the engine. The engineers were very receptive to the program and passengerrs were always surprised at the skill required, the complexity of the job and the morons who'd run around the gates.

Nearly every participant wrote a thank you letter. Imagine that!

Clem
  by Head-end View

Sounds like a win/win situation to me Clem! Maybe eventually some smart railroad executive will bring the idea back to life, and then we could get to ride in an M-7 cab's "observer seats". I know.........keep dreaming

by SeldenJrFireman

If i can get a cab ride from ko to riverhead and back, that would be the best thing ever! :-D

by NIMBYkiller

I'd love to get a cab ride out to Montauk and Greenport. The lower montauk would be fun too.

by AMoreira81

There are often standby Harran buses at Babylon, just in case that happens, often every day.