• Bergen Junction Tower-Rutherford, NJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Rutherforidan

As a resident of Rutherford I have seen this structure all my life, but what is it or was it used for? I say was as I saw a reference online stating that the tower's functions are now controlled from Hoboken. This reference stated they the tower may now be used for storage or by maintenance crews.
However when I drive by at night lights are usually on inside the tower and during the spring, summer and fall the windows are open. There is an air conditioner in one window that I assume is used on hot days. Sometimes the drapes on the windows have been pushed back allowing the interior to be viewed slightly. I have also seen people crossing the street from the Rutherford side and entering this building. This evidence on face value seems to indicate to me that the tower is being used for more then storage or maintenance crews, so just what is going on inside the tower?
  by Sirsonic

The tower is used as office/workshop space for the signal maintainers in the area.
  by njrally

The tower was formerly used to control switching between the Erie main line and the Bergen line. The main line broke off there ran through the west end of town along Erie ave to Carlton Hill Station near the corner of Erie Ave and Jackson (this has now become a walking path in town). The tracks continued across the river into downtown Passaic. When the Erie merged with the Lackawanna in the early-mid 60's, they abandoned the tracks and the tower basically became obsolete. The Bergen line as we know today was formerly used mostly as a freight cutoff for the Erie.