• Depot with signal tower

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by chnhrr

I have come across this picture (late 1960’s?) which is referenced as a New Haven depot. The unique feature is a signal tower that is integral to the depot. I’ve tried finding the location of the structure. Does anyone know where it is or was, if it is no longer standing? I can’t say I’ve seen similar type structure on the NH or other railroads for that matter. A freestanding tower is shown in the background beyond the overpass.
  by chnhrr

I think I’ve answered my own questions. The attached photo here has been cropped, but I went back to the original picture and saw a small New Haven station sign on the opposite side of the tracks with the name Kingston (Rhode Island). It appears this structure could have been the freight depot. How long the signal tower on top was used is unknown.

With the little research I’ve done, it appears the depot didn’t survive past 1970. The active station a few hundred yards away, has been immaculately restored.

Link on station

http://www.greatamericanstations.com/St ... ation_view
  by Noel Weaver

The building in the photo is defnately Kingston, RI. The tower portion had not been in use for a long, long time. The tower that was in use was not exactly new and it was a little bit east of this structure.
Noel Weaver
  by The EGE

A tower (probably the one in the background of your image) still stands a few feet back of the tracks north of the bridge.
aerial view

From this historical view it appears the depot was still around in 1963 but gone by 1970.
  by chnhrr

Thanks all. Yes, it looks like the tower was relocated roughly 230 feet away from the tracks by the Friends of Kingston Station. To bad the depot was not saved, but the group and the State had enough to take care of with the station and the signal tower. Link to picture of Tower 133.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/p3subhunter/5830895103/
  by TomNelligan

Unfortunately that old tower building was long gone by the time the Friends of Kingston Station stepped in to restore the passenger station and SS 133.
  by tractionmotor5819

This is another example of the uniqueness of RI and the rr's that ran through it. This photo makes me wonder what came first the tower or the freight house? it almost seems to be grafted in! Would make a neat model.
  by chnhrr

Thanks EDG. The current tower location is to the left of the second tree from the curved road (center of picture).