• UP conductor job in Houston.

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by AJPRIOR

I am trying to get some information on the UP conductor's job in Houston. I recently took the reading test and passed this test and am waiting to continue in the hiring process. I have several questions that I am trying to get answered and after reading some of the posts on this site I am a little confused. Any information would be greatly appreciated. A little history about myself I have just retired from a the United States Navy so this will be a second job and hopefully my last job.

1). I read here that the railroad is currently running at 130% of capacity but the railroad still appears to be furloughing train crews which doesn't make sense if the railroad is running over its capacity it would seem that there would too much work. If this is the case whats the real deal with being furloughed. I would hate to accept this job go to training and get furloughed, is this even a possibilty in a busy area like Houston?

2). I get the 24/7/365 on call schedule but I was wondering how much time will you be off between trips is it 12 hours or a day or two, is there anyway to predict when you will be called back after getting home from a trip?

3). What kind of money can I really expect to make at first after being hired on and lets say in 5 years.

4). Can anyone advance to engineer or is this postion based on seniority, good-old-boy system, or based on performance.

5). What is it really like work for the railroad these days is it a good or bad job and what are the pros and cons of the job.

Any help answering these questions would be greatly appreciated and any other information y'all would like to pass along would be received with open ears.

Thanks,

J