• Staten Island Developments

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ElTrain

What are the thoughts about the recent developments on Staten Island? Funding has been completed and construction begun on the Travis Branch, Arlington and the AK Bridge. Could this lead to more float traffic for the NYCH? SI to Brooklyn? Or perhaps up the East River to Oak Point?

by Sir Ray

My thoughts are they have dragged their feet for 5 or so years in getting done what should have been completed by 1999/2000 (after AK bridge was first refurbished). Anyway, I do not foresee any major expansion on the order you suggest for a fairly long time (10 or more years, probably) - the New SIRR will serve Howland Hook Terminal, Visy Paper, and the Waste Transfer station (perhaps I am mistaken, but it looks as if transfer buildings are almost completed to the West of the Staten Island Expressway, right North of Fresh Kills - those metal-sided 'Butler' buildings - if so, then those buildings will be idle for a year or so till the Travis Branch is refurbished completely).
Expansion I could see would involve little or no cost, such as expanding/refurbishing a spur to the remaining P&G buildings (I don't think all are owned by the PA, although again I could be wrong), some of which could be used as modern distribution/warehousing facilities (the one story metal buildings - not sure if any such firms would want the multi-story brick buildings except as offices). Perhaps if there are other firms on the ROW which may want rail service (can't think of any right now), or perhaps a team track, but otherwise don't get your hopes too high...

by CR6618

A new steel beam bridge has been installed on the Travis Branch, as seen from southbound Rt 440, just north of Victory Blvd. It replaces a wooden bridge over a small creek. The roadbed leading south towards Visy Paper is ready for new trackage. Great views of this area from the Meredith Avenue Bridge over Rt 440.

by DogBert

nice to hear things are moving along (even if years late). Does arlington have track laid yet?

by CR6618

The bid for Arlington Yard improvement only went out last May. I don't know how the work is progressing.

Here's an interesting unauthorized visit from 2002:

http://www.industrialnewyork.com/rail/2 ... ndex.shtml

by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

The track in those photos looks pretty darn good. I assume this is the rebuilt section?