• Question about surviving CPR FM's

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by Richard Glueck

Would somebody with knowledge on the subject, please give a listing of all the retired Canadian Pacific Fairbanks-Morse locomotives which remain in existence, and possibly, reflect on their condition/status? THis is a followup to a discussion in the LIRR forum.

by BAR BL-2

On the surviving Canadian FM's question, I can't provide a definitive list , their location and status, but recently did a little research looking for C-Liners. Check the following website for information on five FM's. There are reportedly an H-16-44 and C-Liner A at the Museum of the Highwood Railway, at High River, Alberta, two B-unit shells that were CPR radio repeater cars at Cranbrook, AB (perhaps at the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel?), and a CPR C-Liner at the Canadian Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa:

http://exotic.railfan.net/FM.htm.

Of course, you're probably aware of the only surviving Trainmaster (CPR)at the Canadian Railway Museum, Ste. Constant, Quebec. It is stored indoors in a very cramped and dark section of their indoor exhibit. I love the museum, and am very happy a Trainmaster was saved, but it cannot be photographed without adequate photo lighting.

I am providing this information as no one seems to have responded to your question. I am en route to Alberta next month, but unlikely to visit either Cranbrook or High River. Nonetheless, they are on my list for the future.

by Richard Glueck

I had the privilege of going aboard the C-Liner in the storage shed in Ottawa, and took extensive photos of her interior. I also saw the H-24-66 at Delson, on that same trip. I'm wondering what the condition is of the Cranbrook C-Liner. I'm also curious about the remaining CPR FM's.

As I type this, I am approximately 5 miles from the traditional home of the BAR BL-2's!
  by BAR BL-2

That FM website mentioned 2 C-liner B's at Cranbrook, but I seem to remember they were listed as shells. I also read somewhere they were converted by CPR to radio control units. If so, they probably lost all windows, most doors, the filter grilles, and, if truck parts were a problem, the trucks too in favor of something more maintainable. Wish the item said where they are/were in Cranbrook. My bet is the Museum of Canadian Rail Travel, but their website disavows having any FM's -- says they have MLW and GMD passenger units.

The Museum of Highwood doesn't seem to have a website, but does appear as a phone number only in the list of High River, AB businesses. Note it doesn't say Museum of Highwood Railway, though it is listed that way on several railfan websites. I have a suspicion it is a local museum that happens to have some railroad equipment -- including a C-liner and perhaps an H-16-44. When I am in Alberta in April, I will see what I can find out.

by Ken V

I don't have much info either but, according to the Canadian Trackside Guide (a very reliable source), it appears the two C-liner Bs (originally CP 4455 & 4456) could be located at The Locomotive & Railway Historical Society of Western Canada in De Winton, Alberta (near Calgary) rather than in Cranbrook BC.

by missthealcos

The 2 C-liner B units do exist, and while they are converted to remote control cars, they retained much of their original appearance. The rest of the B units, which were coneretd to robot cars by CP in the early '70's lost practically all distinguishing features.... the 2 that exist today, which were converetd by PGE/BC rail retained their side skirts, one set of side doors, most of the steps etc.....they could quite easily be made to appear as actual CFB16-4's. I have seen them many times over the last 15 years, in various places. All of the units converted retained the original trucks.

by CN9634

In Fort Fairfield, Maine there is an CP unit. I dont know the number or the class, but its not EMD. Also theres a buisiness car there and a CP caboose (CN van there too) Got a pic somewhere. Perhaps i will upload it

by CN9634

Ive now confirmed that unit is an S23

by GTR713

BAR BL-2 wrote: Of course, you're probably aware of the only surviving Trainmaster (CPR)at the Canadian Railway Museum, Ste. Constant, Quebec. It is stored indoors in a very cramped and dark section of their indoor exhibit. I love the museum, and am very happy a Trainmaster was saved, but it cannot be photographed without adequate photo lighting.
I work as a volunteer at the Canadian Railway Museum and I want to let people know that the new Exporail pavillion has been opened for about a year now. Lots of locomotives and cars are now safe and sound inside a photography-friendly environment, including the Trainmaster #8905.