• Nice Spot for Railfanning in Peekskill

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by JBlaisdell

I stumbled across a nice little park in Peekskill today. It is at Charles Point, south of the train station. Exit off Rte 9 for Charles and Louise Points, head to river, park is straight ahead as the road makes a hard left. It is a small park, next to trash incinerator, but looks north across the cove to the Annsville area, over to the River Line at Jones Point (where the river bends west), and all the way up the river past Bear Mtn. Southbound freights are visible for several miles. There is also a narrow pier (6-8 feet wide) extending several hundred feet out, with a view to Stony Point and Tompkins Cove. Freights can be heard on radio calling signals at Haverstraw, but I don't know if you can see that far from pier- it was too cold to go all the way out. Park has benches and brush has been cleared for an unobstructed view.

From 2:15 to 3:15, I saw 3 northbound and 2 southbound Amtraks, 3 or 4 MetroNorth trains, 3 southbound freights (a northbound was holding at Haverstraw for them, plus a 4th up the line), a southbound empty oil barge, and a low-flying Coast Guard helicopter.

The park is just off Rte 9, can be reached on foot from the train station, and there is a McD's nearby at the Welcher Ave/Indian Point exit. Check it out.