• HO Cartier MLW 636

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by ANDY117

Is there any way to make an accurate HO model of the Cartier Mining MLW 636's being used by the NYSW? I can't find any decals.

by VCRail

You need Highball Graphics set L-181, which is for Cartier Railway Alcos. :-)

www.mgdecals.com/L-181.htm

by ANDY117

Can u order a new power truck for an IHC c636? My dad busted one on our NYSW, and its being held together by a tie-tie. Any way to make it go slower, because its pretty sad when a C636 beats the Acela...

by Otto Vondrak

You can buy a new IHC engine for less than $35... go for it.

As far as slowing the engine down, wire in some resistors.

-otto-

by ANDY117

I was just wondering how i could repair the front truck. It ain't very pretty. Its currently a NYSW 636, which never existed. Lukily, we now have Cartier MLW's!

by Otto Vondrak

You can buy the new engine and use it for parts. Or just swap shells. You can't always repair these inexpensive engines- they just werent meant to be repaired sometimes.

-otto-

by ANDY117

Testors cement to the rescue! Now it just has to dry for a day... Any body got aq close up- of the MUconnections on the front?

by mc367

Stewert came out with the C630 as QCM #34, but the NYSW have the Cartier's M636's. One must thing for the engine (if the NYSW have kept them on) are the huge plows Cartier had, you can get these from Minitures By Eric in Canada.

-Justin

by ANDY117

I intend to do that! Looking at road number 78
  by mandealco

Hi
Former Cartier units #s 78 & 79 are real celebrities. They were close to the last units to be built at Schenectady, being part of a 3 unit demo set (also Cartier #77) that were sold to Morrison-Knudson for rail construction projects far and wide including the Black Mesa & Lake Powell. They then landed up in the wilds of Quebec. Unlike MLW built M-636 units which ride on the short DoFaSCo trucks these brutes ride on Alco's advanced 3 motor Hi-Ads. Very distinctive and in my opinion the C-636s are the best looking things on rails. If Cartier # 77 hasn't been scrapped yet there are 4 surviving C-636s from a total of only 34 built more than 35 years ago, not counting those built for Australian roads. The other survivor is a former Conrail (PC) unit on the Delaware-Lackawanna in Scranton PA.
Cheers
Steve
Modelling NJ in NZ.
For an N-scale C-636, check out http://www.railimages.com/gallery/steveadair

by mc367

I belive that its the #77 and #78 that are the only ones left of the Alco Demos, #79 had an engine fire while on the Cartier, sometime in late 2000 or early 2001. I was there in June of '01 and we never saw the #79.

About modeling the locomotives I know you can get decals from Highball Graphics.

-Justin Franz

by mc367

Here is a link to a website that is done by and enginer for the Quebec Cartier that has photos of the Alcos.

Also, in the past my dad has kitbashed an M636 using the life like shell and putting it on a Athern moter, a lot of work, but If you put some time in to it will make a vary good model.

Hope this helps.

http://groups.msn.com/RidingthelastAlco ... rket=en-ca

-Justin

by emd_SD_60

ANDY117 wrote:I intend to do that! Looking at road number 78
Here's a detailed picture of 78, hope it helps. :-)

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-c/cart78ade.jpg

by ANDY117

Indeed it does! Thanks emd_SD_60.