• Alcohol Heaters for freight cars

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by chnhrr

This goes into ‘you learn something new everyday’ category. I came across this article concerning alcohol heaters on freight cars for perishable goods. I am familiar with the cooling of these cars, but it never occurred to me that they had to be heated during the cold months. Was this type of heater used on New Haven cars or on the New York Central as well? If so, who was responsible for ensuring the heaters were supplied with fuel and lit/operational? I assume eventually the heating systems became electric.
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

The Bangor & Aroostook used refrgerator car heaters on potato shipments. Potatoes have to be kept in a fairly narrow temperature range, so both heating and cooling the cars were essential to prevent spoilage. IIRC from Angier/Cleaves' history, originally charcoal heaters were used, and the personnel assigned to ride along and tend them were called "potato bugs."

PBM