• Grand Central Terminal questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ToledoTerminalRy

Last year (2 days after the spain train bombs) I was taking pictures in GCS and came across a old (still stenciled NYC) 40' boxcar? #9260. It looks as if it has been converted into a storage container of some sort. If I remember correctly it was on the lowest level of tracks that a normal person could go. Could I post the pictures on here (last I heard NYC was trying to impose a no pictures rule). Also, the tracks that this boxcar? sits on go behind fences and merge into several other tracks and take some turns into where I could not see. The tracks seemed as if they are never used and are blocked by movable steel "platforms". Does anyone know where these tracks go and what they are/were used for? Very curious. Thanks for any Info in advance.

Ryan

by DutchRailnut

ok First its Grand Central Terminal. not station.
Grand Central Station is a post office.
Grand Central Terminal is were the trains terminate, at the bumping block.
The lower level loop tracks were the NYC troop sleeper 9260 sits(not a box car) is out of service, only upper level loop track is used.
The loop tracks are used to turn long distance trains, but since GCT no longer sees Long Distance trains they only use upper loop to run trains from tracks 38 true 42 to the Madison Avenue Yard and its used once in a while to turn a Bombardier train with a bad cab signal to go to Harmon.

by ToledoTerminalRy

Thank You - I wasnt sure if it was station or terminal thank you for correcting me, and thank you for that information. The sleeper car - why is it stenciled in NYC still and not something else (there was a x-CR?caboose stenciled in MNCW), other than just not needing to change it.

Thanks again for that info - its been eating away at me since then - now more interesting that its a sleeper (to me).

Ryan

by DutchRailnut

The NYC Express car is a former troop sleeper converted by NYC as express package car. It was bought on arrival in GCT by Waldorf Astoria Hotel and used as silverware storage.
The car was turned over to Conrail or MNCR by Waldorf Astoria Hotal after it was no longer needed.
it was used on track 115 for years as Computer paper storage car and later moved to track 102 as storage facility.
If it retires, I Believe the Danbury Railway Museum has a letter in with MNCR to preserve the car.
The car is not active (rail) and therefor does not need MNCR reporting marks