• New York Central Steam Locomotive Roster?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scoostraw

Is there a comprehensive roster online somewhere of NYC steam power? Build dates, road #'s, disposition etc.?

Thanks if you know..
  by Otto Vondrak

scottychaos wrote:Wow, all-time NYC steam roster would be quite the challenge!
That's why we split it up into two volumes. One for New York Central and the Boston & Albany, and another book for "Lines West." It was the only way to make it manageable.

-otto-
  by scoostraw

Otto Vondrak wrote:Roster books are indeed available from the NYCSHS.
-otto-
This is an answer to a question which was not asked, Otto. ;)
  by Otto Vondrak

scoostraw wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Roster books are indeed available from the NYCSHS.
-otto-
This is an answer to a question which was not asked, Otto. ;)
HUH?
scoostraw wrote:Is there a comprehensive roster online somewhere of NYC steam power? Build dates, road #'s, disposition etc.?

Thanks if you know..
You asked if there was a roster available. There is not one online that I know of. It is available in book form from the NYCSHS. That is all the information I have.

-otto-
  by rlsteam

I have a NYC roster from 1940 that was published by Railroad Magazine. It doesn't have the L3 or L4 Mohawks or the Niagaras, or the P&LE A2 Berkshires, but otherwise is useful. I suppose Carstens owns the rights to it. Otherwise I could scan it and put it up on my web site. Maybe somebody with influence with Carstens could get permission for me to do that.
  by rlsteam

Also, though not an online source, George Drury's "Guide to North American Steam Locomotives" (Kalmbach, 1993) includes a bare-bones roster of all NYC System steam locomotive types erected since 1900.
  by Otto Vondrak

rlsteam wrote:Maybe somebody with influence with Carstens could get permission for me to do that.
Unfortunately, my last name is not Carstens, so I can't help you. But the publisher would be able to give you written permission.

http://carstens-publications.com/contact/

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

scoostraw wrote:Is there a comprehensive roster online somewhere of NYC steam power? Build dates, road #'s, disposition etc.?
If you can't wait for someone to post a free roster list online...
If you love New York Central Steam or Electric Locomotives…
You simply MUST have Steam Locomotives of the New York Central Lines, Volumes 1 and 2 by William D. Edson and H. L. Vail, Jr., assisted by Edward L. May. The ultimate authority on all steam and electric locomotives from the DeWitt Clinton of 1831 to P&LE 9406 of 1948. These books represent a lifetime of research for each of the compilers and are a fitting memorial not only to the legacy of the New York Central Lines but also to their untiring efforts to preserve that legacy for us all. These books are full of individual listings for every steam or electric locomotive, including year and month of construction, builder’s construction number, all known reclassifications and renumberings, and retirement date, and in many cases ultimate disposition.
Now you can purchase with PayPal!

http://nycshs.blogspot.com/search/label/books

-otto-
  by rlsteam

There is now an online NYC roster, scanned from 1940 issues of RAILROAD MAGAZINE. You can find the link to it here: www.railarchive.net/nyccollection. It opens as a PDF file in a separate window, and is presented with the permission of Carstens Publications and RAILFAN & RAILROAD MAGAZINE.