• Aerial photos

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by tom hannan

I found a site called HISTORICAERIAL.com----the old New Jersey aerial surveys from various years. It is easy to follow active railroad tracks from the various years. The most interesting for me--was old Camp Kilmer. The PRR 4 track mainline had spurs going into Camp Kilmer--delivering supplies and taking troops to New York for deployment overseas. And then seeing the old 1960s Camp Kilmer--as it sat abandoned and just given to Rutgers for today's Livingston Campus. TODAY--small remnants of track betwen the old warehouses are still visible--along with the old bumpers where the track siding ended----covered in thick vegetation. The huge loop is now gone--replaced with Kilmer Road that goes to Plainfield Ave in Edison. Scan west along Plainfield Ave and see the prisoner of war camp--and further west is old HADLEY AIRPORT---where today's Middlesex Mall sits. I just saw an article about the PITTSTOWN DEPOT--in PITTSTOWN--off old Route 22----which is still standing. The aerial survey shows the track when the line was active--and as the years went on--a Pittstown Road overpass was put in. PICK A YEAR and see the aerial survery--it is a great site!!!
  by David Hutchinson

Don't forget to look for the old US ARMY Nike Missle Base adjacent to Hadley Airport. Historic Aerials now has Topographical maps available below and to the left of the screen.