Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by F40CFan

MetraMDW211 wrote:I was also wondering why the weird location for 614?
That is where they were parked the last time they were stored serviceable.
  by MetraMDW211

Oh ok I understand now. 614 is still parked there
  by lstone19

611 was the second unit on last night's MD-N double-header.
  by F40CFan

Saw it this morning on track 13 stuck behind an ex-BNSF boom-box.
  by metra104

For all of your F40C Fans, #614 has returned to service and #611 is getting fixed up
  by metraRI

metra104 wrote:For all of your F40C Fans, #614 has returned to service and #611 is getting fixed up
As of yesterday, 614 was still sitting on Track 1W at Western Avenue, which is used as a storage track...
  by MetraMDW211

As of last night 614 was still sitting in the same place
  by MetraMDW211

614 is still on 1W at WACY and 611 was attached to switcher #5 in the west yard.
  by lstone19

Unfortunately, 611 has now joined 614 on track 1W. They are coupled together.
  by metraRI

Latest word is that the F40C's are done with Metra service. Rumored that 611 is going to a museum. Not sure how accurate this info is, but time will tell.
  by F40CFan

metraRI wrote:Latest word is that the F40C's are done with Metra service. Rumored that 611 is going to a museum. Not sure how accurate this info is, but time will tell.
I also heard that Metra is done running them (but we've heard that before). Supposedly, they were running 611 to empty the fuel tank. I hope its true about the museum, it would be a shame for them to disappear completely.
  by lstone19

This afternoon, 611 had been moved back to the engine house. 614 is still stored in the same place.
  by lstone19

Unfortunately, today 611 was back on the storage track (1W) with 614.
  by EJ&ESDM809

I'm thinking with Metra sending the F40PHM-2s and 12 of the MP36s off for rebuild this year, I wouldn't be so quick to say the F40Cs are done with Metra service just yet. Metra may have to change their decision on the F40Cs once again.
  by MetraMDW211

Have they sent any of the Winnebagos off to rebuild yet?