• Kennebec River Bridge

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by AVR Mark

In a news article on the Progressive Railroading News Website it says that "On Monday, President Obama announced that four transportation projects will be expedited in Maine, North Dakota, Oregon and Washington through the “We Can’t Wait” initiative. ". It goes on to describe the Maine Project as "replacement of the Kennebec River bridge in Maine." It says that the old bridge is 80 years old and that it is at the end of its service life. It also says that the bridge is "movable". It doesn't say where the bridge is located in Maine. Could this bridge be the one between Bath and Woolwich on the Maine Coast Railroad, or is there another bridge somewhere on the Maine Central that I don't know about that needs replacement? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Mark
  by MEC407

It's a road bridge, not a rail bridge.

Article in the Kennebec Journal:

http://www.kjonline.com/news/fast-track ... 08-19.html
  by markhb

One thing I will say is that Maine has consistently demonstrated actual "shovel-readiness" with these projects, starting with the I-295 reconstruction and followed by the Downeaster extension, the Jetport terminal expansion, and the new Veterans' Bridge.
  by AVR Mark

Thanks for the information and the link, even though it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

Mark
  by eastwind

Nice photo, atholrail. Which one is that? It doesn't look like Waterville-Winslow. Could it be Fairfield-Benton? (Augusta is the only other possibility, right?)
Is this a recent shot? Look how low the river is.
  by eastwind

Thanks!