• Yard Masters at Cedar Hill (NYNH & H)

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by cedarhill1955

Does anyone know if there is a list of Yard Masters who worked Cedar Hill in Hamden/New Haven, CT? My father was a Yard Master along wiht his best friend, and I am trying to get his friends name.
  by Noel Weaver

Who is your father? I knew a few of the yardmasters at Cedar Hill but there were a lot of them there. In the 60's there were yardmasters at five different locations in Cedar Hill in addition to the yardmasters downtown and also at Belle Dock. There was also a General Yardmaster at Cedar Hill on each trick as well.
Noel Weaver
  by cedarhill1955

My father was Ed LeMoine who died in February 1962. He worked out of a small green building near State Street behind the YMCA and the "Elm City Cruller Shop" (which I remember very well as a kid). the stairs to the shack seemed daunting at the time but somehow have survived and are still there.

His best friend, Lou, taught him how to manage the yard, and I was wondering what Lou's full name was. He also worked with Phil Calendo and John Doyle (if that helps) who lived on our street in Hamden which overlooked the yard.

Do you remember my father and his friends or is this "before your time"?

thank you Noel
  by Noel Weaver

cedarhill1955 wrote:My father was Ed LeMoine who died in February 1962. He worked out of a small green building near State Street behind the YMCA and the "Elm City Cruller Shop" (which I remember very well as a kid). the stairs to the shack seemed daunting at the time but somehow have survived and are still there.

His best friend, Lou, taught him how to manage the yard, and I was wondering what Lou's full name was. He also worked with Phil Calendo and John Doyle (if that helps) who lived on our street in Hamden which overlooked the yard.

Do you remember my father and his friends or is this "before your time"?

thank you Noel
I remember Phil Caliendo and John Doyle rings a bell but I don't recall where he worked or what his job was, I do not recall him being in engine service. The yard office behind the State Street Y was known as Cedar Hill and it handled the WB departure yard and outbound trains for both the New York Dvision and Maybrook. The name Ed Lemoine does not ring a bell, maybe he had retired before my time.
Noel Weaver