• Green Line troubles on 3/11/05 at 6:45 PM

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by cden4

I already posted this on the LJ MBTA community, but I haven't had any responses. I was hoping people on here could help, since everyone seems much more technically savvy here with regards to the T.

-----

I was on the B line inbound around 6:45 PM on 3/11/05 and we were almost to Kenmore. The train stopped in the tunnel as it always does. This time though, it started, went about 2 inches (or so it seemed) and then stopped. It did this probably 5 or 10 times. Then the driver then cycled something air-related, like a wooosh sound, a few times and tried it again. We then went a few inches 5 times or so again. Then he shut of the train (except for HVAC and lights) and turned it back on again. He did this twice. Eventually we got going and made it to Kenmore. I also noticed at this point that the car we were attached to (I was in car #2) was gone.

We got about halfway to Hynes and when we stopped in the tunnel this whole process repeated again. It didn't happen again after that, but we were going really slow for the rest of the trip. At each of the next stops -- Hynes, Copley, Arlington, and Boylston -- there were a lot of people waiting for the train. Then, at Park Street, we pulled up on the other track, and the driver announced that this train was being rerouted. So I hopped out and another train pulled up very quickly on the track that goes through. There were a lot of people waiting there too, and a lot of people from our train hopped on it as well.

Any idea what happened here? Anyone experience anything like this before? I think I was on a type 7 train, although it had been upgraded with the LED signs inside and the automatic announcements. Actually, I think it was the one with the Garnier Fructise wrap around it. The first car, which we had been disconnected from, was a type 8.

by jumbotusk

I know what happened.

The greenline sucks, is unreliable and poorly managed. You just happened to use it.

Better luck next time.

Seriously, that happens to me so often, its not worth writing about each time anymore!

------------
Participant (when my posts aren't deleted), MBTA Forum

by StevieC48

Sounds like there was a propulsoion or brake problems with the train. And tried to reset the problem by cyling the keys (shutting the train down) sometimes it works and sometimes it dosent. Hope that helps

by MBTA1

On a totally different subject I was on the D Line (Car 3498) when the ceiling of the train started leaking. Not just drops but entire hoards of water coming from the holes in the ceiling (I believe they're air-ducts). Has anyone here ever seen that? The car was detached from the first car at Kenmore and looped around.

by Porter Sq

I have seen water coming into the car on the Orange Line.It wasn't gushing out but there was a lake starting to form on three seats.

by Robert Paniagua

I have seen water coming into the car on the Orange Line.It wasn't gushing out but there was a lake starting to form on three seats.

Oh don't worry "boss" :-D, you're not the only one who has seen the seats on the 0600s and 01200s fill up with a puddle of water. I've seen those Orange/Blue Line cars' seats get puddled up like that, and it has to be some sort of defect up in the ceiling/roof area of those cars. And even the Red Line 01800s have the same leaking problem too, especially down in the floor fron the gritts on the ceiling, it hasn't been pretty either.

by efin98

I think ice and snow has alot to do with the water inside the cars, gets in via the ventilation system and when the heat start it melts and drips everywhere... unavoidable with the influx of so many recent storm...

by StevieC48

Yea it also happen during the summer when the HVAC (Air Comfort) systems water discharge gets clogged and it backs up insidethe car and onto the seats also Stevie

by efin98

It happens alot on the buses with AC as well, moisture has a way of collecting and coming back inside at points you don't want it to. Preventable, but not without a price. The good news is the cars only have a limited life span left, seven years only before they are retired.