• Jersey Central Runaway Locomotive

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by ChrisU

That's a great story thanks for sharing! I remember reading this somwhere a long time ago and what was the actual cause?
  by Jtgshu

Great story! I never knew that happened! Took the 10mph crossovers at Essay (South Amboy Tower in the diagram) at 47MPH?!?!!??!?! How did it not end up on its side? Wow....

Very well written article and there were a bunch of heroes that night!
  by GSC

I remember this. Thanks for bringing it back for those who haven't heard the story.
  by Ken W2KB

NJTArrow2 wrote:That's a great story thanks for sharing! I remember reading this somwhere a long time ago and what was the actual cause?
When I was in No. 12 grammar school in Bayonne I had a subscription to the magazine and remember reading the article. I lived only 3 blocks from the 8th Street station.

Years ago I read the NJPUC findings and at one point spoke to one of the PUC employees who remembered the investigation. He felt the most likely explanation was a disgruntled employee (perhaps former employee) intentionally caused it. Gloves would leave no unexpected fingerprints.
  by R,N, Nelson

Wow, what a well written story. It is a classic example of how railroaders, at the time, would ban together to get the job done somehow.

In this case it was the sheer bravely of the crews and the quick action and wise decisions of several,that saved the day, with no injuries or loss of life.

Amazing.

Norman
  by R36 Combine Coach

R,N, Nelson wrote:Wow, what a well written story. It is a classic example of how railroaders, at the time, would ban together to get the job done somehow.

In this case it was the sheer bravely of the crews and the quick action and wise decisions of several,that saved the day, with no injuries or loss of life.
The same applies to the CSX 8888 runaway in 2001, which also ended without tragedy (and inspired a Denzel Washington movie based after it).
  by Zeke

Phil Stocker an old CNJ engineer, now deceased, whom I worked with on NJT told me the same thing it was a brakie that had been fired for Rule G, drinking alcohol on duty. The police sweated him for days but he woudn't talk. Investigators believed he threw a tie plate on top of the deadman pedal, opened her up and hopped off. The CNJ was quite upset about the derail not doing its job which would have circumvented the whole incident. Among other safeguards, Phil told me management went out and tested different types of derails and replaced many of the older ones around the property with new hop toads and had the track dept install quite a few split rail derails around interlocking plants and main line sidings. The knew they slipped a bullet on this one.
  by BigDell

This was GREAT!!! I'd never seen nor heard of this! Wow! Saving and keeping... Makes me miss all the good CNJ days (albeit I was extremely young - but still remember...). Great great story - thanks!
  by JimBoylan

The reporter seems to have gotten the order of stations, Perth Amboy and South Amboy, reversed when referring to a Pennsylvania RR Seashore Express.
Did the runaway locomotive lack Automatic Train Stop or was it cut out? The chase locomotive from Barber Yard was equipped and had it cut in.