• Amtrak lost and found

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by pennstation

I lost a small and extremely sentimentally valuable item on Wednesday, Dec. 7. I am concerned I may have lost it either in 30th St station in Philadelphia or on Train 180 on that date.

I called Amtrak and informed them of this matter. They took my information and gave me a number I could call at Penn Station NYC for the lost and found there.

Does anybody know if there is any possibility if this item could possibly be taken to a lost and found in Washington, DC? 180 originates in Union Station. If a cleaning crew were to find the item and turn it in, where would it end up?

I'm looking for any advice anyone here could offer. Thank you in advance.

by AmtrakFan

Try calling Washington Union Station Directly.

by natethegreat

Train 180 teminates in NY Penn. The train may have been serviced before being sent out again. It may have made its way back to Washington, so perhaps you could check Penn Station first, and then try Washington.
Washington Union Station: 202-289-1908

by joshuahouse

Is Penn Station still Pennsylvania 65000 or some variation on that?

by ckb

joshuahouse wrote:Is Penn Station still Pennsylvania 65000 or some variation on that?
Sorry, Mr. Norman, for continuing an off-topic post ... but ... Pennsylvania 6-5000 was (and still is!) the number for the Hotel Pennsylvania (which is on 7th Ave and 33rd St., across the street from Penn Station.

http://www.hotelpenn.com/index.html

by Gilbert B Norman

Fear not, Mr. CKB; allow me to further clarify.

Actually, the Pennsylvania Railroad used PEnnsylvania 6-6000 for Passenger Train Information and Reservations, PEnnsylvania 6-2000 for their New York offices.

PE6-5000 was an invention of songwriter Jerry Gray for a work widely performed by the Glenn Miller Orchestra; only later was such adopted by the Hotel Pennsylvania, which is presently a "not exactly five star' property. At one time however, this property,was commercial grade, say "three star', when it was part of a chain named Statler, which was evenutally absorbed by Hilton, with the former brand name retired after a short transition period of Statler-Hilton.

by Scoring Guy

The Pennsylvania Hotel (Ramada), across the street from Penn Station, still uses PE6-5000 as their phone number (at least this was true the last time I called).

by JimBoylan

And when it got rid of the "Hotel Penta" name a few years ago, the ad campaign mentioned that "you can still sing our number"!
  by boblothrope

I've been trying to track down an item I might have left on an Amtrak train.

During a few of my calls to 800-USA-RAIL, they suggested I call a station directly, since the station where the train terminates is supposed to keep any found items. Since each call to the 800 number resulted in a very long wait on hold, I'm posting the direct station numbers here for future reference.

Philadelphia baggage: 215-349-2143
Philadelphia station services: 215-349-2270
Washington DC station services: 202-906-3260
Newport News baggage (voice mail was full) : 757-245-3589
Newport News station services: 757-380-5131
  by tomfuller

I have a good story of an item I lost on the Eastbound Empire Builder. When I felt in my bag for my laptop while I was in Chicago Union Station it was not there.
I got a call while I was still in the station from a conductor that was in MSP. Another passenger had turned it over to him. He turned it on and got my name and compared to the passenger list and got my cell#. He sent it onward well packaged on the next EB where it was transferred to the Capitol Limited. I had to go into Union Station WAS to get it. Just glad that and Amtrak employee cared enough to see that I got it back.
  by Patrick Boylan

Ah, the joys of old threads on the list's top. Do I get any supporting votes that agree we don't need to insert [bump] tags, since we can look at the prior post dates to tell it's an old thread?
One hopes after all these years the original poster's story had a happy ending.

While changing trains in Penn Station New York, before 911, my sister lost track of a piece of luggage. She asked and Amtrak kindly sent it on to Baltimore where she lives.
  by Greg Moore

I had the opposite problem a few months ago. I had taken a sleeper from ATL to NYP and then transferred to an Empire Service train for the rest of the ride to ALB.

However, I had a layover in NYP so brought my baggage into the Acela lounge.

Well, when I left, I did as I had done on many of my work commutes, put my laptop back on my shoulders and boarded my train.

About one hour later I'm sitting on my NB train thinking, "Hmm, didn't I have two extra bags?" Ayup. I had left them in the Acela lounge. Now I wasn't so worried about losing them or having them stolen. I was worried about TSA or Amtrak Police assuming they were explosives. Fortunately, the conductor was able to get me the number for the Acela lounge (sorry, I don't recall it). They found my baggage and marked it as safe.

They put it on the next day's LSL and I was able to pick it up at ALB (after explaining to the baggage person why I was expecting baggage, but had no tickets. :-)
  by chrisnewhaven

I know this has been said, but PE 6-5000 is deffinately not Penn Station! My Latin teacher played that song during class last year, and during the song told us it was Penn Station's number. He then got the bright idea to check, and we all called. Within 15 seconds there were 30 high school students being asked if they would like rooms at the Hotel Pennsylvania, with the song still playing in the background ;)
C.J.V.
  by Greg Moore

chrisnewhaven wrote:I know this has been said, but PE 6-5000 is deffinately not Penn Station! My Latin teacher played that song during class last year, and during the song told us it was Penn Station's number. He then got the bright idea to check, and we all called. Within 15 seconds there were 30 high school students being asked if they would like rooms at the Hotel Pennsylvania, with the song still playing in the background ;)
C.J.V.
Hopefully is Latin knowledge was better than his knowledge of Big Band era songs. :-)