• Radio Repair

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Trainmann

I just got through listening to a guy on 160.485 conducting "radio repair". I heard the guy say "radio repair from north bergen to cooperstown dispatch" a couple times until north bergen dispatch answered. The "radio repair" guy asked the dispatcher if he could run a quick test and he requested that he count 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 unkeying after each number and than count 12345 at once and that was it. Does anyone know what this guy was repairing?
  by DutchRailnut

the radio, setting or checking its settings
  by Trainmann

Well I know the radio, but settings for what? The guy also had a very strong signal, stronger than the dispatcher.
  by CarterB

A slow deliberate 5 or 10 count is the standard way to do a radio check to and from a radio. If you hear all 5 counts clearly, good
If you miss or there is static on 2 or more of a five count, 4 miss on a 10 count, radio may have a problem. This is a standard test used by radio technicians world wide. I am one.
  by kingfish

NYSW is in process of converting the radio network to narrow band.