• Central Maine Junction Work (Danville, Yarmouth, Royal)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by gokeefe

More agitation in Lewiston-Auburn for rail service. This coming directly from the newspaper itself.

'Perspective' column by Mr. Jonathan Labonte, in the Lewiston Sun-Journal, January 31, 2010

The politics of the timing aside, the announcement this week that Maine has successfully secured federal dollars to invest in rail upgrades for passenger service should be celebrated. While it has been seen as contentious, with Lewiston-Auburn jockeying for position to secure money of its own, the groundwork laid in Freeport and Brunswick over the last decade has made this a no-brainer.

And in a competitive environment nationally, that groundwork likely made the difference. For those carrying the vision of downtown rail service here, the lesson learned should be to build a similar foundation to ensure we are equally competitive, and successful, in future funding opportunities.

The $35 million announcement over the last week will bring the Downeaster train from Portland, through Yarmouth Junction, and on to stops at Freeport and Brunswick. For advocates here in Maine's second largest urban area, this should come as good news, as the route to Lewiston-Auburn must go through Yarmouth.
I can't help but notice that Yarmouth Junction and not Royal Junction keeps coming up, despite indications to the contrary, of the preferred route, from the work at Danville Junction. I take it as a given the Yarmouth Junction - Danville Junction, (SLR) is in better shape than Royal Junction - Danville Junction (MEC), is this in fact correct?

It makes me wonder given the author's apparent knowledge of the subject whether perhaps he is aware of the differences and gives prominence to his own preferred route intentionally.
  by gokeefe

This article has been posted in two other threads. I thought it would be interesting to note that if this project moves forward two of the three junctions mentioned in this thread would be MDOT owned track interchanging with PAR. It is not clear to me where SLR would interchange with PAR or if SLR will maintain freight rights over these tracks.

Lewiston Sun-Journal article, by Rebekah Metzler, on March 3, 2010
AUGUSTA — Democratic lawmakers unveiled a new $100 million economic development bond package Tuesday aimed at job creation that would provide the Lewiston-Auburn area with $5 million to improve rail service.

State Sen. Margaret Craven, D-Lewiston, said she advocated along with the rest of the Lewiston-Auburn delegation for funding to help revive the area's rail service.

About $2 million of the rail money would be used to purchase about 15 miles of track between Yarmouth and Lewiston, according to state Rep. Mike Carey, D-Lewiston, who serves on the Transportation Committee. The remainder of the funding would be used to lay track out of the Auburn, allowing more trains to use the port, he said.

“It would also allow a turnaround. That becomes incredibly important when there is passenger service there.
  by Watchman318

gokeefe wrote:This article has been posted in two other threads.
"About $2 million of the rail money would be used to purchase about 15 miles of track between Yarmouth and Lewiston, according to state Rep. Mike Carey, D-Lewiston, who serves on the Transportation Committee. The remainder of the funding would be used to lay track out of the Auburn, allowing more trains to use the port, he said."
That's a direct quote from the article, and it looks like a typo in the article. Can somebody translate that last sentence? As in "the Auburn" what, and what port? {insert confused smilie here}
  by markhb

Watchman318 wrote:That's a direct quote from the article, and it looks like a typo in the article. Can somebody translate that last sentence? As in "the Auburn" what, and what port? {insert confused smilie here}
I'm guessing the Port of Auburn:
MaineBiz wrote:The Port of Auburn, the name given to a private warehouse and rail terminal off Route 202, handles more tonnage than any of the state’s sea ports, with the exception of Portland. If one did not count the large quantity of oil delivered to Portland, the landlocked Port of Auburn, which handles raw materials for the pulp and paper industry as well as ethanol and other products, would be the state’s most productive port.
  by Watchman318

markhb wrote:I'm guessing the Port of Auburn.
D'oh; I never thought of that. Probably because, as the first line of that article says, "No ships sail into the second-largest port in Maine and no waves break on these shores."

Thanks for clearing that up.
  by gokeefe

What is the latest on the junction work?

Is Danville finished?

How far along is Yarmouth Junction?
  by rrr

sorry i did not bother to read any of the topics to see if this is already talked about, Im wandering if the danville jct roundhouse still exists and if not-are there any remains of it.
-any information would be help full
-russ
  by merrman

Danville Jct trackage is complete. I haven't been over in a while, but I beleive signal work remains.
Probably some crossing work and salvage as well.

Nothing at Yarmouth Jct except that the ribbon rail is in on the Lower. Ties still need to be done.
Diamond has not been changed as yet, not sure if it will be.

Nothing at Royal yet that I know of.

I have never heard of a roundhouse at Danville.