Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by jp1822

Question regarding the rommettes (single bedrooms) on the Chateau versus Manor series. Is there any difference in space or ride quality?

I am not very familiar with what was known as "duplex rommettes" - were these originally intended for two people? Is there a couchette on both sides? Or still - couchette and toilet on the other? I realize the Chateau singles (rommettes) are staggered, but is there any other major difference? Is this why they are called duplex - b/c they are staggered like that?

Reason for asking - I may be travelling alone across Canada on the Canadian. Have never travelled aboard the Canadian in a Rommette - always in a double or triple bedroom. Been on Amtrak Viewliner's many times. Honestly, the only time I spent in my room was at night - sleeping.

I heard the rommettes are snug when down, and you have to flip the bed up in middle of night to use the toilet, not a problem for me, as once I am in bed - I am in bed. Typically the train rocks side to side - which assists in "rocking to sleep" but is there a lot of interuptions in sleeping with stopping and starting the train during the night that is noticeable more in a rommette than double or triple bedroom?

How could I ascertain I have a rommette in a Chateau or Manor series car when I make my reservation? I am travelling late May, where there is probably going to be a long train consist with mixed Chateau and Manor sleeping cars.

Any advice appreciated!

by chriskay

Interesting question...

Consistently the best sleep I ever had on the stainless steel equipment is in an upper berth. I don't know why, but it just is. However, I have a better sleep in roommettes than I do in bedrooms. You'll probably wake up a few times, though, especially if there's choppy braking, but it's not so bad.

I find the beds in a roommette to be a bit wider than in a bedroom. Maybe it just "feels" that way, I'm not sure.

I don't think there are any major differences between the manor and chateau roommettes, other than the manor cars don't have the staggered layout as the chateau cars do.

-Chris
  by bill haithcoat

Duplex roomettes were called that just because they were staggered. Each room was a full room for one person (only) with its own seat and toilet, no problem.

I cannot think of there being any reason for a roomette to be noiser at night, unless you mean you would be about two feet closer to the aisle---but I don't think that is a factor. Not that many stops.The Canadian is highly subject to flag stops but it actually made very few of them when I rode it last September.

You can probably ask what kind of room it is when you make the reservation.

Enjoy.

by marquisofmississauga

There are three types of roomettes; each has its pros and cons. The four in the Manor cars have a cut-away bed which allows it to be raised and lowered around the permanently placed sink. There is also a space to stand when perfoming this manoeuvre without having to back out into the corridor with the curtains pulled around you.

The Chateau roomettes have full-width beds, so the sink must be recessed into the wall when raising and lowering the bed. The "lower" roomette has a bed which slides out from beneath the "upper" roomette ahead. It is also quite a small room compared to the uppers and the Manor car rooms. The "upper" roomette does not permit anyone but the thinnest to negotiate the bed with the door closed. Hanging out of an upper room, holding on to a railing with one hand and handling the bed with the other takes some getting used to. There is a large luggage shelf in the upper roomettes.

As all roomettes are at the end of the car, it can be a bit rough riding and there can be some noise at overnight stops. The only major stop in the middle of the night is Saskatoon. On my trip in December, the doors were frozen so there was much banging and hammering at Saskatoon. This, of course, won't be a problem in May!

The Manor roomettes are numbered 1 & 2 (near the door) then 3 & 4. I always choose 3 or 4 because they are a bit more "off the wheels." The Chateau roomettes are 1 & 2 (lowers), 3 & 4 (uppers), 5 & 6 (lowers), 7 & 8 (uppers.) In these sleepers I usually choose 7 or 8. The ride is quite smooth in those two.

Chateau sleepers rarely run on the Canadian, but when they do there may be as many as five of them. When you book, you can ask which type is available.