• HO Budd Metroliner MUs from Walthers/Proto 1000!

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Mike@IHP

green_elite_cab wrote:
ajp31 wrote:It seems to me that, with this announcement, it's a foregone conclusion that retooled, Proto-line, plated, ~$65 Amfleet Is and IIs are coming. The market for Metroliners is limited and I doubt Walthers would go to the trouble of tooling them up if they didn't intend to reuse parts of the molds for other project with much broader appeal.

Now we just need to get them to offer the Stemman pans separately! :)

I don't think the Metroliners are harbingers of Amfleets. Amfleets will be inevitable in HO.

That said, Metroliners have a similar shape to the Amfleet, but not much else. The Metroliner isn't an amfleet with a cab on it. The doors are placed differently, there are different vents, etc.

I'm not sure how much Metroliner tooling is compatible with Amfleets.
For model production purposes, it's not the same. Different tooling would have to be made for each project. At least these days with CAD design, some things are made easier once you have some of the shapes and measurements. It's the end market that you have to consider. This is all speculation of course, but I think that new, higher-end plastic Amfleet cars very well could be not long in the future.

Mike Bartel
  by Backshophoss

Mike,I'm not trying to beat a "dead horse" here,but the ConnDOT SPV's were setup to couple to /cutoff from NEC trains at New Haven,then
run on their own to/from Springfield Ma,allowing a "1seat" ride to/from DC.
12 of the cars were # in the 990 series,the 13th car CDOT 50(AKA "LIZZE") was to be the Danbury Branch "full time" car.

This was before the Wire was extended to Boston and GG-1's ran to New Haven
  by Mike@IHP

Backshophoss wrote:Mike,I'm not trying to beat a "dead horse" here,but the ConnDOT SPV's were setup to couple to /cutoff from NEC trains at New Haven,then
run on their own to/from Springfield Ma,allowing a "1seat" ride to/from DC.
12 of the cars were # in the 990 series,the 13th car CDOT 50(AKA "LIZZE") was to be the Danbury Branch "full time" car.

This was before the Wire was extended to Boston and GG-1's ran to New Haven
Not at all, that's good SPV knowledge there. :-)

Mike Bartel
  by Backshophoss

Just saw the Walters "Flyer" for June '12 and the ads for the Metroliner cars,the "kicker" is PRR scheme with "Keystones" and
tuscan red stripes,populated with an "enginerring" team to boot. Ad states only 350,4-cars sets will be made.
The "EL CAP" deluxe sets sold out quickly,wonder if the PRR Metroliner follows suit?