• Blue Line 0600 Tracker (Hawker-Siddeley) RETIRED

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Arborway

BostonUrbEx wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the decrepit state of the Orange Line fleet was the sole reason behind it. Has an order been put out to bid yet? This is ridiculous. If this winter isn't as mild as the one we just had, I wouldn't be surprised if the line becomes pretty severely crippled.
Last I heard the procurement process was put on hold, and delivery of the new OL fleet was estimated to be about ten years away.

I'm not kidding.
  by CRail

BostonUrbEx wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the decrepit state of the Orange Line fleet was the sole reason behind it. Has an order been put out to bid yet? This is ridiculous. If this winter isn't as mild as the one we just had, I wouldn't be surprised if the line becomes pretty severely crippled.
Regarding the condition of the fleet we're discussing for the purpose of being on topic, but also in relation to similar vehicles... I don't see how either fleet is "decrepit." The fleets which utilize the same technology are pretty reliable because of the simplicity of that technology. Due to corrosion and wear and tear, the moving components do become unreliable since they stop moving freely (valves relays micro-switches etc can cause a train to become disabled even if there's nothing really wrong with it, like a faulty sensor in your car). When this happens, it's an easy fix, but it's still considered a 'disabled/break down' which translates to the riders as a broken train.

In the case of the Blue Line cars, the condition of the bodies was a much greater problem than their condition mechanically. Being a smaller fleet the car house was able to keep up on them better than Wellington can with the #12 cars. My recollection is that the #4 cars were very reliable and, in the case of Seashore's, are in very good condition. With an overhaul like what is planned for the #1 Red Line cars and the #12 Main Line Elevated cars, all three fleets could have continued reliably for many more years (which I expect the 2 most recently mentioned will do).
  by Gerry6309

Body damage was the main enemy of the No. 4 EBT cars. They were well built, but operate in an area exposed to salt air and droppings from both sea birds and jet aircraft, which use a runway which lines up with Orient Heights Yard. The Cor-ten steel is good, but is welded with carbon steel in places. This allows oxidation to attack from within, creating the type of rust bubbles often seen on these cars. There is less on the Orange Line cars which have no roof attachments to speak of, but they can appear at any weld.

Since the Orange Line cars are less exposed, they have fewer problems. They were also the last cars for Boston to use traditionsl GE control systems, which are becoming difficult to locate parts for. I am sure the remaining No. 4 cars will be picked clean to keep the Orange Line cars going a few more years. The two cars going to Broadway Upper will never run again, and Seashore's pair will rust away ...