• Des Moines hotspots

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by jhmcmich

I am going to be making a trip to Des Moines this summer and would like some information on hotspots. I am from Delaware and usually shoot digital stills and HD video in and around Baltimore, MD, and Altoona, PA. Any suggestions on Des Moines would be appreciated. Thanks.
  by Jeff Smith

Good luck! For more visibility, I've cross-posted your query in Midwestern Railfan as well.
  by Ejayz33

Your best bet for action is on the East side of Des Moines the UPs North/South "Spine Line" runs though there with lite to moderate traffic. Also on the east side of Des Moines the UP has a short line yard that is fairly active. The spine line runs though this yard and if you drive down Dean Ave you can see a few units tied up there. I went through there 2 weeks ago and the 1996 Olympic Toruch Relay unit was there! Just pull up Google maps and look on the East side of town it is a web of tracks. The area looks run down but for the most part it is industrial and is safe to park and watch the action without people bugging you.If you want to see alot of action I suggest getting on Interstate 35 and driving up to Ames its about a half hour drive form Des Moines. UPs double track mainline from Chicago to Nebraska runs though there and most days it sees between 50 to 100 trains per day. If you have time Drive over to Boone ( about 10 to 15 minutes west of Ames) and Check out the new Kate Shelly High Bridge the UP just built. It is said to be the longest and tallest railroad bridge in North america and is easily accesablie via some public gravel roads. The sceneary there is awesome and you can take some great pictures. Also the Iowa Interstate Railroad runs trains right through the southside of Downtown Des Moines. The traffic is very light here though they send a mixed freight train from Chicago like clock work just after 10 pm almost everynight.
hope this is helpful and Enjoy your stay in Des Moines !!
  by nssd70

The Norfolk Southern also serves Des Moines,and keeps one or two engines in town to switch industries,and the BNSF sends a road freight into Des Moines to serve as the link for the NS to the outside world.

Doug