• On2 vs On30

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by steamer69

I am curiouse to get peoples oppinions on the argument between On2 and On30 in terms of modeling 2' gauge. I know of the ease of being able to just get On30 power trains and such without the headaches of re-gauging. Just looking to get some ideas on the Pros-cons of each. Thanks guys.
  by Railjunkie

Had a very good friend who modled the SR&RL in On2. He enjoyed hand laying the track and scratch building most of his rolling stock, and kit bashing everthing else. All of his motive power was bra$$ including one or two of the cabeese.

The layout was a large U shape inside a 10 by 12 room in his basement, powered by 3 seperate Pacific Fast mail control boxes (he was old school). He always told me if your gonna do narrow gauge do it correctly.He never liked the On3 stuffsaid it didnt look right on code 83 track. He once was a member of a Sn3 club back in his younger days and I guess he never lost the narrow gauge bug.

Alas the layout was never finished it was torn down for family reasons and most of the rolling stock and the few buildings he had were sold to a gentleman overseas who was a huge On2 modler. I think he kept one Forney for personal reasons.
  by steamer69

Scotty,
Thanks for the link, I had read your page. The only thing that keeps bugging me is the having to kitbash absolutely everything. Are you able to get anything in On2 that is ready to run, or do you have to hand lay the track and everything. I have found a couple of places to get the models I am looking for, but they are all On30.
  by scottychaos

steamer69 wrote:Scotty,
Thanks for the link, I had read your page. The only thing that keeps bugging me is the having to kitbash absolutely everything. Are you able to get anything in On2 that is ready to run, or do you have to hand lay the track and everything. I have found a couple of places to get the models I am looking for, but they are all On30.
There is a decent amount of On2 RTR rolling stock..the scale is growing, slowly..
I know of no On2 RTR locomotives however, except for bra$$..
most people hand-lay the track..there are some turnouts available..
every manufacturer I am aware of I have listed here:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... ePage.html

Scot
  by steamer69

Looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of kit-bashing. Now that I have that figured out, on to finding WWI models in 1/48 or 40mm. That's not going to be easy either.....
Last edited by steamer69 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Desertdweller

There was once a two-foot gauge railroad that operated in southwestern New Mexico. My last railroad assignment was on the Southwestern Railroad. We have a branch line that serves a couple large copper mines. This is the remnant of a Santa Fe line that connected with the El Paso and Southwestern (SP) main line at the Mexican border a few miles west of Columbus, NM. It ran north from there to Deming (on the SP Sunset main line) and continued north to Burro Junction, south of Silver City. The line runs west of Burro Junction to a large mine at Tyrone. Another line branches off at Whitewater, south of Burro Junction, and serves a mining district at and north of Hurley. The track between Burro Junction and Silver City, the track between Deming and the EP&SW, and the EP&SW themselves have been taken up.

Silver City was the northern terminal of this line. The Santa Fe yard was at the far southern end of town. The railroad tracks and station are gone, but the locations can easily be seen.

The Santa Fe yard and station were the location of an interchange with a two-foot gauge narrow gauge railroad (I don't remember the name). This railroad ran north from there along a creek. A catastrophic flood wiped it out, along with the main street of Silver City. A gaping canyon up to 50 feet deep was left in its place. The city gave up fighting nature. A parallel street became the main business street, and the front sides of the main street buildings became the back sides. In place of the main street and little railroad is now a city park named "The Big Gully" (I'm not making this up)!

The little very narrow gauge continued on north of Silver City to serve the gold mining town of Pinos Altos. I think a state highway is built on the roadbed. There was a station, yard, and engine terminal in Pinos Altos. Walking around in Pinos Altos, I could see no evidence of it. BUT...if you check out Pinos Altos on Google Earth, you can see the narrow gauge right of way, station location, yard track layout, and turntable pit!

Railroads leave scars on the earth that require a bulldozer to remove. Especially in the dry southwest. And especially when seen from space.

Les
  by steamer69

Any ideas for O gauge WWI Army figures? Looking for those now, and not having much luck. Looking specifically for A.E.F.