• New shoes?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by tushykushy

Went out chasin' the 60 last Friday and I noticed something other than just an air leak 271 had....

Can you see that? Wait a minute, I got a better one.

Ahh there we go, you can even see them shine. 271/268 had what appeared to be new brake shoes (correct me if I'm wrong.) Did they get a good deal in the PennySaver to outfit all the road engines with new brake shoes?

by BMT

Wow -- that is a new pair! Where'd you guys go for those, Payless? :wink:

by Mr Met

268 got taged too :(

by Paul

Those shoes appear to be the new composit type brake shoes designed to replace cast metal shoes. Cast metal shoes work at a lower brake cylinder pressure than do composit shoes. Comp shoes work with a max brake cylinder pressure of 72 psi where as cast shoes operate at max BCP of 45 psi. These shoes are designed to work with cast shoes at the max BCP of 45 psi. You can intermix these and cast shoes on the same truck, how ever they need to be done in wheel pairs. They are colored like that to distinguish them from cast and other kinds of brake shoes.