• Bath & Hammondsport surviving locomotives

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scottychaos

oh cool!
I didnt think trains ran to Wayland at all..
will have to watch for some sometime!
thanks for the correction..
Scot
  by Matt Langworthy

The industry in Wayland receives tank cars of magnesium chloride. This is a great road de-icer at low temperatures (0-15 degrees F), and is sold under the apt commercial name of "Magic". Why the highway depts don't use it on the roads in Rochester is a mystery to me. There's an Erievlley video called "Today's Bath & Hammondsport" that's a great look at the way operations have been for the past few years. It shows a run to Wayland (C424m), several trains running to Painted Post, as well as a short switch job by S-1 #5 to retrieve some tank cars from the ex-Erie spur in Cohocton. The ex-Erie doesn't run very far- it's maybe 2 miles in length.

The video even features footage of the C-430 that has since gone to WNY&P.

Even though it's not the B&H I knew while growing up, I call this line the B&H. I'm sure LA&L would return trains to the original mainline if there was sufficient reason to do so, and those guys are doing a great job with the trains they're running now...

by scottychaos

anyone have the scoop on B&H 11's history?
this page:
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vowners ... isplay=911

says:
[03/1923] Sold: The Narragansett Pier Railroad Co. #11 at Peace Dale, RI
[1937] Sold: Thomas F. Carey (dealer) at Elizabethport, NJ
[04/1938] Sold: Bath & Hammondsport Railroad Co. #11 at Hammondsport, NY
[1955] Sold: Rail City, Inc. at Sandy Pond, NY
[1977] Sold: Narragansett Pier Railroad Co. #11 at Peace Dale, RI
[1982] Sold: Middletown & New Jersy Railway

did it REALLY go to the same shortline (Narragansett Pier) TWICE 54 years apart?
in 1923 then again in 1977?
that seems too far fetched to be true..a mistake on that webpage?
or is it actually true?
I tried to find info on the NPR and it looks like it ran until 1981..
anyone know her history after leaving RailCity?
thanks,
Scot

by scottychaos

Matt,
looks like #11 is Alco-Cooke.
built at Cooke works.
but that still makes her an Alco anyway, since Cooke was part of Alco since 1901.

Scot

by joshuahouse

I think it actually did go back to the Pier, if not one of the others ended up there eventually. For some reason, perhaps explained by the alignment of certain stars, lots of equipment and people seems to have bounced back and forth between these two railroads, engines, passenger cars, MoW chiefs, other officers its amazing really.
  by Matt Langworthy

Scot, thanks for the help. I never knew Cooke became part of Alco! Going back to an earlier poston this thread- alternating the S-1s in service has been a common B&H practice for a long time, although sometimes either #4 or #5 dominated the rotation. No doubt this is due to the influence of engineer Randy Brewer, who goes back to the "old" B&H. I knew him going back to the days of watching the Alcos switch at the waterfront yard in H'port. He also wore the chief mechanic's hat on the line pre-LA&L, and brought his expertise to the "new" B&H.