• Walkill Valley NYC Operations (Freight leads in Walden)

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Marty Feldner

Montgomery and Walden are on two separate lines that split just north of Rt. 207 in Campbell Hall. Both are now operated under a lease agreement by the Middletown and New Jersey as part of the 'Campbell Hall Cluster'. The Walden line is the former NYC Walkill Valley- it is still active as far as Walden.

By 'atlas' I assume you refer to the SPV publication. If so, it (while a good general resource) is far from Gospel; there are errors.
  by nysw3636

scottychaos wrote:Last passenger train - 1937
Last freight train - 1977

according to: http://www.gorailtrail.org/history.html

Scot
(SUNY New Paltz class of 1992)
That site, and others, should be updated. Conrail ran its "last regular freight run" on this line 12-31-77, which at the time was 3 times per week. A few trains operated past this date. I specifically remember seeing one freight that came to pick up 2 box cars in New Paltz, just north of the station. It left northbound to Kingston. The year was 1978...
  by Gyrobo

That Wikipedia article will probably look a lot better in a month or two. Or three. I've pretty much made Wallkill Valley Rail Trail as comprehensive as possible, so I'm going to start on the main railroad's page once I get myself a new copy of Listen to the Whistle.