• Freehold Secondary OOS Section

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by GSC

A severed connection. Not good news. Remember Lakehurst being taken apart, then the new runaround in Lakewood? *sniff*

History sliced in two. This section, between Freehold and Farmingdale, dates from 1861. (Freehold was reached in 1853).
  by blockline4180

GSC wrote:A severed connection. Not good news. Remember Lakehurst being taken apart, then the new runaround in Lakewood? *sniff*

Don't loose hope!
There are "rumors" going around that Lakehurst Naval Air base(JBMDL) is interested in using rail service again.... I know it is only a rumor, but it comes from a former railroad employee and he usually doesn't spew falsehoods.. If I find out more I'll post it!

As the saying goes...Stay tuned!
  by Blackseal Jim

Who actually owns this part of the line. Conrail or NJT ? Theyre replacing ties through Freehold and ripping up crossings in the OOS section. I heard that Fairfield Rd xing is gone too. BTW, where ya been Gary ? Welcome back !
Jim H
  by southern sec. kid

Fairfield road crossing still had rail going over it about a week ago.
  by Blackseal Jim

Drove over its remains today . Its gone.
Jim H
  by David

blockline4180 wrote:

Don't loose hope!
There are "rumors" going around that Lakehurst Naval Air base(JBMDL) is interested in using rail service again.... I know it is only a rumor, but it comes from a former railroad employee and he usually doesn't spew falsehoods.. If I find out more I'll post it!

As the saying goes...Stay tuned!

Yes, Steve--This "rumor" has crossed my desk too along with other, "rumors"-- Sounds good so far--
  by GSC

Not much work in Freehold lately for me, Jim. Slow season with the tracks closed.

Fairfield Road was a bad Xing, bad bump. Funny thing, it was never declared exempt, so school buses still had to stop there.

I've heard rumors of the Lakehurst-Dix-McGuire "superbase" would all be connected by the Southern. So I've heard. Allegedly, the bases would be connected by rail and have access to Earle and the piers as well.
  by David

And how will they connect the physical plant of Fort Dix?
  by Blackseal Jim

Id imagine they would just use the siding that goes into Lakehurst . Remember when they had to move out that contaminated dirt 10 years ago or so. they trucked in to Lakehurst then loaded it . This still doesnt help the OOS section of the FIT though. The past couple of years hasnt been kind to the Southern Div or the FIT recently.
Jim H
  by David

Blackseal Jim wrote:Id imagine they would just use the siding that goes into Lakehurst . Remember when they had to move out that contaminated dirt 10 years ago or so. they trucked in to Lakehurst then loaded it . This still doesnt help the OOS section of the FIT though. The past couple of years hasnt been kind to the Southern Div or the FIT recently.
Jim H

Thanks Jim---New "rumor" is that the Pemberton / Mt Holly branch will be rebuilt to Ft. Dix---- This sounds hard to believe and is doubted.
  by Blackseal Jim

David wrote:
Blackseal Jim wrote:Id imagine they would just use the siding that goes into Lakehurst . Remember when they had to move out that contaminated dirt 10 years ago or so. they trucked in to Lakehurst then loaded it . This still doesnt help the OOS section of the FIT though. The past couple of years hasnt been kind to the Southern Div or the FIT recently.
Jim H

Thanks Jim---New "rumor" is that the Pemberton / Mt Holly branch will be rebuilt to Ft. Dix---- This sounds hard to believe and is doubted.
Now that would be something to see! Wow . But yea , Im not going to hold my breath.
Jim H
  by GSC

Probably right after the new and wonderful MOM service is up and running.