• Looking for Model Railroader Supplement

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Benjamin Maggi

When I was younger, probably around 10 years ago, I remember receiving two magazines that I believe were put out by Model Railroader. They WERE NOT Model Railroaders, but were more like holiday suppliments. ONE had an LGB Mogul on the cover lettered for the D.S.P.&P.R.R. (yes, I rememeber that) and features a father and son huddled below a Christmas tree. The lettering was set in maroon. The SECOND one had Santa playing with a Lionel train set, I believe the Lehigh Valley GP-7 set, and the lettering was set in green.

Each magazine featured simple layout construction articles that had been previously published in other Model Railroaders, as well as sectional track layout plans and photos. THE BEST PART was a review of ALL OF the train sets that were available, by scale, including toy ones by Matchbox and Playmobile.

They are very important to me, as they got me started in Model Railroading as well as taught me how to read.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Is anyone willing to sell them to me? Since they are not for sale anymore, would anyone be willing to at least photocopy the covers and mail them to me so I can then send them to Model Railroader to give them an idea of what i want.

By the way, I contacted Model Railroader directly and while they were very nice, Jim Hediger specifically, they didn't know what i was talking about.

Thanks. Ben

by Otto Vondrak

I vaugely remember that supplement. It was from the mid-1980s... if you had to pin me to a date, I would say between 1986-1988. Malcolm Furlow was really big into the Colorado narrow guage in G scale back then, and this is when the supplement would have been published. Probably in December to hit the Christmas market (the December issue would have come out in October or November).

-otto-