• New welded track in Hainesport

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by afboone

Folks, noticed this weekend that the track heading to Hainesport and Mount Holly is now all welded and new ties installed. I know this was going on for awhile, but thought it was just new ties. Is this an up-grade for some reason or just NS making the track better?

Thanks in advance.
  by CTL10D

Noticed this too. Most of those ties along 537 near the industrial park were practically non-existant, the line really needed a facelift. No work was done past the Mount Holly bypass into Mount Holly however, I wonder if they dont plan on using that stretch anymore at all. After the Madison Ave X-ing was ripped out, they started to work on reinstalling the switch farther back, and then stopped. Havent seen any work take place there since then, and that was over a year ago. -Chris
  by afboone

They did replace some of the ties on the Mt Holly side of the By-pass. I think they come across when the do the drop off at the telephone plant.
  by bluedash2

BTW, Conrail (Shared Assets) runs the lines in S Jersey not NS. Many of the S Jersey lines have had major portions welded in the past decade. It's mainly being done to save a lot on maintaince costs. Heavy loads and locos can take quite a toll on the jointed part of any rail by flattening the rail at the joint from the constant pushing down on it by the wheeles -and the toll on the ties underneath it. Weld it-solve most of the problems.
  by bluedash2

Before I forget, they actually started welding the beginning of the line a few years ago. They just recently got around to doing more work. That's how CSAO has been doing all the welding projects.
  by afboone

Thanks for the info gents. I did notice a couple of Conrail trucks yesterday. It's nice to hear the diesels in the evening making their way down the line. Seems rail service in Hainesport has picked up.