• Emfinite finally gets busted!!!

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mainline

Joe you finally got your interview by the PD. You handled yourself well. Don't be suprised if there is a permanent record if it was called in by someone other than the PD discovering you. I'm sure it will end in as unfounded. I was stopped at the Metro North Brewster Yard by the local sheriff's office. It was quite interesting.I confused them since I have an official ID( not police). It took them a few minutes to figure out what to do with me. They decided to run my License plate and search my trunk of my car. I almost laughed when the sheriff's deputy said only video cameras in here.He was a little annoyed that he had to respond. He suggested I called the Railroad to let them know what I was up to. So if the MTA gave us passes it would be less of a hassle for them. No citations but I was called in by a MN employee. So I would think there is a record of it. If they checked with the Homeland Security office there's definitely a record. So your tact of being polite will keep you out of Hot Water.

by n2qhvRMLI

Good morning Troopers,

Congratulations to Joe for handling this situation maturely and professionally. Kudos to the P.O. for doing likewise. Critical meetings like these are a tango, it takes two to dance, you can fall on your face or take home first prize.

I can’t speak for MTA PD, but I imagine their operating procedure is similar to Suffolk County and my local departments, Southold/Shelter Island.

Whenever a police officer interacts on the part of his/her agency with anyone/anything, a CC (Central Complaint) number is generated by the dispatcher, (we used to use a mechanical stamp and a time card machine – today, we use a computer), and the P.O. fills out a form describing the particulars of the event. That form, be it a flimsy, an 8 ½” x 11” carbonless three up or a computer screen, is kept on file at the agency, in many cases - forever.

Some or all of the data on that form may be shared with other agencies or posted on the New York State Police Information System if the originating agency believes the data is cogent to other investigations, they want a response back from another agency regarding the incident or they want the data disseminated to other agencies in general.

Today, with our high capacity computers and the ability to cross reference data quickly, more and more bits of information are getting stored on each of us. When I was on the job, I had to get up from my desk, go into another room with long vertical files and physically search for corresponding data by alphabetical or numerical sorting. The “active” files in those cabinets went back five years, every call, every CC#, every incident was there for reference – in hard copy. Secretaries kept the files current and up to date on the day tour. Today, the computer does it so much easier, and with terminals in the police cars, the dispatcher no longer has to go look it up. Joe, as well as most of us are in there – forever!

We don’t think of it, we usually just gripe and complain about the “system,” but every piece of information written or documented is available to you just for the asking. 90% of the data is “public information” and can be accessed by anyone willing to go to the agency, fill out a form, and pay a small cost for a photocopy. That way you can see what was written about your encounter and if you don’t like it, you can write a letter, talk to a superior officer, get a lawyer, call your congressman – what ever.

Bottom line, the men and women sworn to serve and protect are just trying to do their job. As intrusive and annoying as our culture is becoming, it’s not their fault. Give ‘em a break, use your head, as Pogo once said, “We have met the enemy and it is us!”

de Don, n2qhvRMLI
  by de402

I'm a bit miffed at stuff like this. I work in Jamaica and I wanted to snap some pics for some articles I'm been working on about the revitalization of the area. I took some photos at the station and ended up getting hassled by a PO about "national security" issues. The guy was a complete jerk. I was on the Air Train, tried to take some photos of my students on the train that runs through "their community" and some remote control BB employee warned us that there is no photography on PA property.

Its a waste of valuable tax dollars and labor resources to chase shutter bugs rather than it would be to say, fix the fence along Skillman Ave. Which in case no one has noticed, you could walk through standing up or drive a car onto the ROW and pretty much cause real mayhem. Next time you're heading east out of the tubes, look right where the Amtrak work gang hut is. That fence couldl'nt stand a on coming car.

IMHO, I don't think a single act of sabotage in the history of railfanning has ever been comitted by a railfan. Plain and simple, why alienate those volunteer eye's out there?

by Fla East Coast Chris

Hey all,
I am in the system in Florida's Broward County.
My vehicle(Ford Explorer) is in it and my name and so on!!!!
Now they look at me check it out and say" There is that NY nut job from the LIRR!!!!!
I keep shooting !!!!
Chris
  by Lackawanna484

de402 wrote: some remote control BB employee warned us that there is no photography on PA property.
The rule has been in force since the 1960s. It's been enforced consistently since the World Trade Center destruction. There are many signs in the PA Bus Terminal prohibiting any photography, sketching, drawing, etc without written permission of the PA.

The PATH police get a few calls each weekend about "persons taking pictures in the Harrison station" and respond. There's a sign just inside the westbound plat stairway stating the policy.

by jayrmli

While it may sound like a good idea for photography ID's, who pays to keep up the list? (Which would probably include hiring additional law enforcement personnel. This would be a government project.)

Also, what happens when Ali Al-Akbar wants to apply for an ID? Do we grant one to him? Why or why not? Who is going to pay for background checks? And what happens when some suspected terrorist plotter is busted and has one of these ID's (or a phony one) in their possession?

For those aircraft shutterbugs out there, will we have to issue Id cards for those guys/gals as well?

The point is this...I think Homeland Security and all branches of law enforcement have much better things to do than worry about these things.

Jay
  by Head-end View

DE402: that's interesting about your experience. About a year ago I took photos galore thru the front window on the Airtrain over the entire route and nobody even noticed. I wouldn't have been surprised to find police waiting at the last stop, but it didn't happen. :-D

by krispy

"...As you can see Mr. Anderson, we've had our eye on you for some time..."