• Boston Autoport

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Teamdriver

jaymac wrote:...from back when the "Port" in Mass. Port meant something other than airport(s)...
Here's some more port work: ( New Toyotas trucked from Northern Avenue pier, Boston )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_pub ... otostream/
  by fogg1703

Even if the AutoRailer was the answer to all the problems, would the traffic be there? Its not a "if they rebuild it they will come" world for port's with major competition within 500 miles. I suppose if NS really wanted to push the port for import/export then maybe they could pull it off, but right now the end justify the means.
  by QB 52.32

The autorack and rail's finished-auto service network has been impossible to beat even though there's been some equipment-based alternatives proposed during the past 30 years. Even if Boston were to generate a sizable amount of im/ex auto rail traffic, I can't imagine a roadrailer alternative would be economically justified over trucking to/from CSX and NS hub auto terminals on their autorack service networks (in/west of Framingham and Ayer).
  by BostonUrbEx

Who has trackage rights for the autoport? I was under the impression it was CSX. The state's freight rail plan map doesn't show any ownership nor operating rights for the Moran Terminal branch at all.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

BostonUrbEx wrote:Who has trackage rights for the autoport? I was under the impression it was CSX. The state's freight rail plan map doesn't show any ownership nor operating rights for the Moran Terminal branch at all.
MassPort owns it. I don't think there is an operator holding down trackage rights any longer, unless there's something buried in the fine print keeping PAR with a hold on it. I was under the impression that they abandoned the rights, which would make it open bidding if the line were reactivated.
  by fogg1703

Massport bought it in 2002 from GRS for $4.2 Million. In short GRS sought to abandon it and Massport stepped in to preserve any future rail access. As far as I know no operator was ever chosen and F-Line stated, it would be up for bid.