• Miller's Falls, Depot wrecked by Derailment 60's

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Dick H

Can a member direct me to information on the B&M derailment, possibly
in the 1960's, that damaged the Miller's Falls station beyond repair? Any
photo leads would also be appreciated. Thanks...
  by jaymac

The most promising leads would be the files of Greenfield Recorder, the Montague Public Library, and the B&MRRHS, both archive files and forum. The Athol Daily News currently does not cover Millers Falls, but it may have then, or it may have covered the particular story because of the transportation impact on the area. The issue of impact might also apply for the Worcester Telegram, Springfield Republican, and Daily Hampshire Gazette. Given the financial circumstances of most newspapers and libraries, I'm guessing that something that far back may not be available on line and may require a trip to view either hardcopy or microform records. There is a Montague Historical Society, but no contact information was given, so the Montague Public Library might be a source for that, as well.
  by Engineer Spike

The B&MRRHS used to sell videos of old movies. One of them by Russell Monroe has many shots of the frequent derailments of that era. One of them is of the car laying against the Millers Falls station.
  by doublebell

Russ Munroe's book,Trackside around Massachusetts 1950-1970 with Russ Munroe (Trackside Series, 31), has a picture of it. That picture brought back memories as I saw that wreck when I was a grad student at UMass.
John, the guy in the white car with the wing on back.