• Electric Locomotives for the Providence Line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSX Conductor

#5 - Dyre Ave wrote:(then again, I think Fairmount line should be made into a rapid transit line like the Red, Orange or Blue lines, but that's another story).
Thats probably the only way they would ever repair the Columbia Rd bridge, lol. :P
But seriously, the Fairmount Line (Dorchester Branch) is too vital. Looking at the Fairmount Line & Franklin schedules may give you the impression that the line is not used very much, but it is.

There is a great number of non-revenue activity on the Dorchester Branch between South Bay & Readville.

For example:
1) an alternate route for the Corridor if need be
2) many train sets are dead-headed to the Readville MBTA facility after the morning rush hour, and then dead-headed back into Boston before the evening commute, to reduce congestion at South Station.
3) the line is used by the Readville switcher to bring coaches to the Readville facility for maintainence.
4)CSX also operates a local between their Readville Yard and Boston to service customers in South Boston.

BTW, just last year there was an article in the Boston Globe that named the Fairmount Line the "Friendliest Commuter Line" in the system.

Also, the MBTA just spent huge $$$ to renovate Fairmount station, which is now ADA compliant. :wink:

by Ron Newman

But couldn't many of those dead-head moves be replaced by scheduled revenue service?

by CSX Conductor

Ron, many of the dead-head moves I am referring to are between South Station & the Readville facility and would only be able t make station stops @ Fairmount, Morton & Uphams.....they are also operated during off-peak hours, which would not produce much additional ridership.

I made the above post to illustrate how vital the Dorchester Branch is. :-)