• Central Mass Branch

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by F-line to Dudley via Park

NRGeep wrote:In the unlikely event of part of the CM being reactivated, it seems building a connection to the Fitchburg somewhere in the vicinity of the CM bridge over the Fitchburg near the Waltham Weston border might make sense given the numerous grade crossings in Waltham Highlands, Bacon st etc, the precarious rt 60 bridge and flimsy trestle near there and the general redundancy, given the 2 Waltham stops at Brandeis and Waltham Center already on the Fitchburg.
That was the plan in the 1993 restoration study...simple line split curving around the pond and sandpits a few hundred feet southeast of the old truss overpass. The only reason the Waltham trackage exists is because the CM was a competing railroad at the start and used no common trackage with the Fitchburg back when it was routed through what later became the Fitchburg freight cutoff. They shared the ROW from Alewife to Beaver Brook, but it operated independently on the third track. Had it not been for adequate freight on the line in Waltham (which did, after all, last until 1987 long after the rest of the line was gone) the B&M probably would've gotten rid of that jog in favor of a junction out there, much like they did when passenger trains were re-routed onto the Fitchburg main from the Somerville cutoff.
  by MaineCoonCat

There are at least two property parcels in Sudbury located along the ROW along Hop (aka. "Wash") Brook. Both aren't really near anything. These are south of Boston Post Road (20) and west of Landham Rd. (East Sudbury Station). Anyone got a good guess what the RR would want with'em?

Click map image for larger size.

These are identified as parcels K09-0069 and K09-0067 on the map at http://www.mapsonline.net/sudburyma/index_public.phtml
  by jaymac

Just guessing, but given the boggy nature of the area, maybe some canny property owner made the Mass. Central folks an offer they couldn't refuse?
  by MaineCoonCat

Anybody got a list of block or other (non grade crossing) signals and their MP locations (signal numbers), or is it best I contact B&MRRHS? i've only been able to glean a couple from the 1957 ETT.

Vous remercier en avance! - Thank you in advance!
  by edbear

Central Mass. Branch signals.

CM94, 2 light staggered automatic approach for Clematis Brook interlocking, near Lexington St., Waltham
M193, 2 light staggered automatic approach for South Sudbury interlocking, near Bridge 19.47, was visible from Landham Rd. bridge at East Sudbury station.
Interlocking signals W1 and E2 protecting New Haven diamond at South Sudbury, 3 light standard B & M interlocking signals.
M208, 2 light staggered automatic approach for South Sudbury interlocking, just west of Horse Pond Road crossing.
M347, one arm semaphore protecting Clinton Tunnel, westbound, near Clamshell Road
M356, one arm semaphore protecting Clinton Tunnel, eastbound, can't get a location
M357, 2 light staggered automatic approach for junction with Worcester-Ayer route at East Switch. Can't get location.
This is from B & M CM Branch track chart, 12/31/1962 revision. The track west of Berlin had already been erased, but the rest of the physical features were left. That Waltham signal does have the designation CM; all other automatics are just M.
  by NRGeep

edbear wrote:Central Mass. Branch signals.

CM94, 2 light staggered automatic approach for Clematis Brook interlocking, near Lexington St., Waltham
M193, 2 light staggered automatic approach for South Sudbury interlocking, near Bridge 19.47, was visible from Landham Rd. bridge at East Sudbury station.
Interlocking signals W1 and E2 protecting New Haven diamond at South Sudbury, 3 light standard B & M interlocking signals.
M208, 2 light staggered automatic approach for South Sudbury interlocking, just west of Horse Pond Road crossing.
M347, one arm semaphore protecting Clinton Tunnel, westbound, near Clamshell Road
M356, one arm semaphore protecting Clinton Tunnel, eastbound, can't get a location
M357, 2 light staggered automatic approach for junction with Worcester-Ayer route at East Switch. Can't get location.
This is from B & M CM Branch track chart, 12/31/1962 revision. The track west of Berlin had already been erased, but the rest of the physical features were left. That Waltham signal does have the designation CM; all other automatics are just M.
Were there signals further West when the line extended to Northampton?
  by edbear

Not that I am aware of; just an interlocking signal at the junction at Northampton. Don't know if the approach signal was electrically operated or a fixed non-operative approach.
  by MaineCoonCat

I'm puzzled by one thing. I distinctly remember a signal that I believe was just east of Peakham Rd. in Sudbury that was easily visible (westbound) from Horse Pond Rd. at night. Usually Amber (yellow) but sometimes Red. Google Earth measurement puts it about mile 21 + or -. Or am I a victim of someone implanting a false memory?

I'm trying to mark all this stuff in Google Earth. I'm finding the signal numbers correlate to mileage. Thanks for the help!
  by edbear

The signals on the Central Mass. were approached lighted. They did not turn on until a train or engine got into the circuit which was some distance before the approach signals. For M193 the circuit began 4500 ft. east of that signal and the end was 4100 ft. west of M208. Once the train or engine was out of the circuit, the signals shut off.
  by MaineCoonCat

Edbear, does that chart show any other bridges in the 19 mile vicinity? I'm running into where Google Earth & B&M measurements seem to disagree. Anything about mile 19.1? Also, any notes re: the wye leading into the Army facility other than the 10 mph speed restriction?

Thanks!
  by johnhenry

I recently x-country skied on the right of way near Jefferson and, heading west, when I got to the P&W Gardener branch I found (and skied down) a connection to the P&W. It was on the NE side of the crossing (which is now a bridge abutment).
Does anyone know if there was ever any schedualed service that used that connection?
  by MaineCoonCat

Is this map (Carr's Jct.) what you're referring to?

Here is a bit of info. It appears it was little used.
  by edbear

After the B & M leased the Fitchburg in 1900, there was a short lived through service from Gardner through Carr Junction, Hudson and South Sudbury to Boston, probably about 1906. Very short lived.