• Lehigh Line/Mountain Cutoff

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by Trackbolt

I am familiar with the Joint Operations Agreement in 1965 which LV and CRR of NJ shared portions of their lines between Allentown and Laurel Run. Specificly why was the sections of LV ultimatly abandoned between Allentown and Lehighton and The portion of the Mountain Cutoff between Frasers and Laurel Run. I always figured that the LV had the best engineered of the two parallel mainlines. And after CRR of NJ's abdication of PA trackage in 1972 all traffic would run on the LV. Archer's book does not shed much light on this. Does someone know the story?

Thanks

by rushhour

My guess is that the CNJ had a few better spots and that the LV didnt get a chance to pick up on it at first. So they use all the better spots instead of the ones not needed. Just my opinion but I could be right on this.

by 56-57

The Central over the mountain had easier grades and the Crestwood Industrial Park, two things the Valley did not have.

Between Allentown and Lehighton, the Central had direct access to Allentown yard, and the NJ Zinc plant in Palmerton.

Conrail valued customer base as any profit centered company would, but the valley track was always in better shape.

Mike
  by Tamping Pick

LV had many more curves that were very tight, high fills and 1 bridge over CNJ.
CNJ was about 60'feet lower in elevation and without the curves.
LV was the second RR on the "mountain".
Pick

by Trackbolt

Thanks Pick,
Welcome back. I am in awe of your knowledge of the LV and CNJ in the Lehigh Gorge. Having been a railfan for over 30 years, I spent much time on the B&O and Western Maryland Railway that I have overlooked these two fascinating roads to the north. I am sure I will have many more questions I hope you do not mind.

Trackbolt :D

by Tamping Pick

Thanks trackbolt,
Good to be back.
Now I have to learn this new format here.
Well back to Penobscot Mountain, the LV had it's work cut out for it over this part of the main, before '65. Ask questions, well find the answers.
This was a very busy place for both CNJ/LV at one time.
PICK

by Trackbolt

Pick I bet you can help me with this one. When did Conrail abandon the LV between Allentown and Lehighton. Was it right after April 1, 1976 or was it later? And when was the parallel CNJ between Lehighton and Frashers put to rest, when CNJ pulled out of PA in 1972 or did it happen after the Conrail start date. Man, I wish i could turn back the hands of time and see those companies during their day.

Thanks,
Trackbolt :wink:

by BlockLine_4111

I haven't been able to clearly follow this thread. The softcover book by Pennisi said the LV had 2 routes: theirs and the ex-CNJ. One of these by- passed Allentown yard. I imagine there were further consolidations and rip & runs when CR took over.

by wis bang

The CNJ shutdown sections of the PA ROW & the LV obtained access to the active customers. The CNJ thru Easton was closed down in 1970 when I got my driver's license. The new Glendon bridge had just replaced the older spans, eliminating the CNJ grade crossing. The ROW was abandoned between the planning and completion of the new bridge.

by Tamping Pick

my reply was deleted by????? from last weekend4-10/11-04.
By who was this deleted and why
no more replies on this topic from me.
PICK

by brward

The Gorge track is a favorite to railfan. Both the live and abandoned. Especially from Mountaintop to Jim Thorpe. At one time there was a steep grade of track that came off the line before White Haven tunnel and traveled over the tunnel and to the north. Where did it go and what was its purpose? Second, from an operating stance, wouldn't the abandoned track (LV) opposite across the river from Rockport tunnel been easier to maintain? I read somewhere that the (LV) grade stayed at a constant level through the gorge. Don't get me wrong, that tunnel is great and for being used on a daily basis is a definite plus. Tunnel maintenance vs. road maintenance? The over/under set up in White Haven is interesting. The steel girders are an odd set up and they move when freights come through. What about the caboose in White Haven any history lesson?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

www.trainworks.net

by Andyt293

The steep grade may have been the CNJ branch to Upper Lehigh and Sandy Run. The abondened track across from the Rockport tunner belonged to the CNJ. The LV never operated that trackage. It was torn up after the 1965 CNJ/LV agreement to consolidate track and operations in the gorge.

The ex-UP caboose in White Haven has no historical ties to the town or the area except that a local individual purchased it and placed it on display.

by 56-57

that steep grade by the tunnel was the 'runaway' track. just in case, hehe...

micah