• Locations of Semaphores in NYS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ANDY117

Where were the locations of all the Semaphores on the Tier besides 224.2. Any parts of them still intact?

by scottychaos

Andy,
there were hundreds of them.
I have never seen an actual map or list that lists and locates them all, (someone somewhere probably has one)
but imagine one protecting EVERY block!
from binghamton all the way out to Hornell and beyond.
and probably East of Binghamton and West of Hornell too..
anywhere you have a mainline target signal today there was probably a semaphore.

In the 80's there was one in Waverly, heading East there were two at the next block just past the eastern end of Broad st extension.
2 more out in Barton..then many many more heading out to Binghamtom..lots of them!

I know where the tower for the Waverly semaphore is..
email me off list.
Scot

by nessman

Isn't there a dark semaphone somewhere on the FGLK?

by ANDY117

There's a double head target signal in Johnson City about 1/4 mile from the rt. 434 overpass/ flyover to vestal. Would there have been a 2 bladed Semaphore there like 224.2 used to be?
Last edited by ANDY117 on Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CP169

nessman, there's a dark one in Solvay on the FGLK. It's in a permanent approach position. It's been like that since NYC days. I know because I've lived around there since '61.

by SRS125

nessman wrote:Isn't there a dark semaphone somewhere on the FGLK?
Yes there is Nessman its about 100 feet to the east of to Frazer & Jones in Solavy, NY with a Begin Block / Begin Conrail sign attached to it the lenz is Yellow with a Yellow Blade angled at about 45 degrees.
  by henry6

...a "dark" semaphore was a fixed signal usually a "home approach" or similar indication on a non signaled track or branch to indicate that there is a home signal ahead protecting a junction or switch or interlocking. The position and aspect of such signal would never change.