• new NS locos

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by mike

Has NS ordered any 70m's recently? By recently, I mean after the last batch of 33 they got? Yesterday (2/18) I saw a primer sd70 on the point of a WB manifest sitting at Vickers, and if this unit is from that batch of 33, I thought it odd that it'd still be in primer. Was pretty clean too. This wasn't one of the new m-2s. It was a "regular" sd70m. Thanks.

by railohio

NS has ordered 52 of the new SD70M-2 units to be numbered 2649 to 2700 for delivery later in 2005.

by Bryanjones

Yes, at the end of 2004 NS ordered 25 additional SD70M's, #2624-2648. All of the units were physically built during 2004 but a few were not delivered until after the first of the year. A couple of these units have been painted but most are still primer.

Bryan Jones
  by SD Shortline

Does the NS have any AC locomotives?

Besides the SD80MAC's, I can't seem to find a good comprehensive roster with what they have. The ones I hace found seem to indicate that the big 5000HP jobs are the only ones.

Over on the RR Operations forum someone believes they have hundreds of AC locomovites. I wasn't sure if they even still had the SD80MAC's but they have 17. The NS tends to stay with the DC units at least I thought.

Thanks

SD Shortline

by charlie6017

SD Shortline,
You are correct. NS does not prefer AC traction motors. As far as I know, the SD80MACs that NS received in the Conrail split are the only ones they have. NS continuously orders DC units. CSX is the one with "hundreds of AC units".

by Stephen

SD Shortline,

I have no idea how accurate this site is but it does have a NS roster.

http://www.thedieselshop.us/NS.HTML

It suggests that other than the SD80MACs and a few GP38ACs, the NS roster is all DC power.

- Stephen
  by SD Shortline

Thanks for the roster information.

The 52 unit order of SD70M-2 inicates that they may stay with the DC system.

SD Shortline

by Stephen

Stephen
It suggests that other than the SD80MACs and a few GP38ACs, the NS roster is all DC power.
My error, the GP38ACs are not AC locomotives as normally classified... :(

Therefore my previous statement should have been... It suggests that other than the SD80MACs, the NS roster is all DC power.

- Stephen
  by ns engineer

The new SD70M-2's are to be delivered in late 2005 and will be numbered 2701-2752 that is according to Norfolk Southern's High Green Newsletter.

by MR77100

I have asked this before, but why doesn't NS not like AC units? Would SD70DCe be a more appropriate term for these new units from EMD, since they are literally just a DC version? Also, is NS ordering any of the ES40's or ES44's?

by railohio

MR77100 wrote:Would SD70DCe be a more appropriate term for these new units from EMD, since they are literally just a DC version?
SD70M-2 is the official designation from EMD.

http://www.gmemd.com/en/locomotive/na_freight/sd70m-2/

by AmtrakFan

Reason they don't like AC traction is it costs more $.