• Maintenance of Way

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by TerryC

Why did CSX stop repainting locomotives into the Orange Maintenance of Way paint scheme?
Ps. What is going to become of the nine C39-8s CSX took out of active service?
http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photo ... 6CSX-o.jpg
keep asking keep learning
Last edited by TerryC on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Avro Arrow

Maybe it didn't achieve any real results?

Don't Ask/Don't Tell

by ACLfan

Terry,

Could be a lot of reasons why CSX is no longer painting MofW units in the famous "pumpkin" colors. I expect that cost of painting is perhaps the best reason.

Regarding the C39-8 units. funny thing! Several are still being used in active service, while the others haven't reached the deadline in CSX's Rice Yard in Waycross, GA yet. They are parked on one of the "available service" tracks at the locomotive servicing facilities in the Yard.

Apparently, they are on some kind of a "ready if needed" standby use basis.

ACLfan

by crazy_nip

because it is a stupid thing to do to paint a locomotive that you are soon going to retire...

it does not make financial sense to do so

in fact its a pretty stupid thing to do

by roadster

System wide power shortages have kept engines slated for retirement on hold for possible reactivation, and CSX has decided to keep it's fleet as uniform as possible and the paint locker as simple as possible to reduce cost. Engines can be switched to different kinds of service as power needs require and still look uniform in appearance. Nip. you actually admitted CSX did a stupid thing!!! I am amazed.

by charlie6017

It's no longer on CSXT roster. No more B23-7s remain and the only "pumpkin" is numbered: 9119 and is listed as "RCPHE4 ex-9727"

Here is the link: http://www.bullsheet.com/roster.cfm?class=PUMPKINS

by CSX Conductor

charlie6017 wrote: No more B23-7s remain
There are actually a few B23-7's that I know of that were rebuilt and are still on the roster. 3185/3187 and a few others. :wink:

by charlie6017

Thank you for the correction. I went by the bullsheet, which said none remain. Actually, I'm glad some of the old power is still around!

by emd_SD_60

This is a little off topic, but Alabama Railfan has a MOW B23-7 to download for MSTS... also they have WLO 1, the Waycross, Georgia shop locomotive also.

http://www.alabamarailfan.com/msts/

by AmtrakFan

Question were all the MOW units 4 Axles?

by TerryC

I am almost 100% sure that all the Maintenance of Way locomotives, AmtrakFan were 4 axled
Last edited by TerryC on Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by emd_SD_60

TerryC wrote:I am almost 100% sure that all the Maintenance of Way locomotives AmtrakFan were 4 axled
Same here. I have no knowledge of six axle ones either.

by crazy_nip

CSX Conductor wrote:
charlie6017 wrote: No more B23-7s remain
There are actually a few B23-7's that I know of that were rebuilt and are still on the roster. 3185/3187 and a few others. :wink:
those are ex-conrail "super 7's" which are being retired now. All but 2 are off the roster

they were rebuilt from U23B's

there are no actual B23-7's or U23B's left

any obtained from conrail were retired almost immediately and the actual CSX units were on the way out by then, mostly gone. All are gone now

by ACLfan

emd_SD_60 wrote:This is a little off topic, but Alabama Railfan has a MOW B23-7 to download for MSTS... also they have WLO 1, the Waycross, Georgia shop locomotive also.

http://www.alabamarailfan.com/msts/
The WLO 1 is a U36B unit, that started out life as SCL #1776, but was re# to accommodate SCL # 1813 to be re # to 1776 while being repainted into the Bicent. R-W-B color scheme.

WLO-1 has been semi-retired, but is in the new YN-3 color scheme

WLO is an abbreviation for Waycross Locomotive Operations.

A former CSX U18B MofW pumpkin unit (# 9505) is still hanging around in Waycross, GA, lettered as BDLX # 9505, with all of the CSX references painted over. The unit is for sale, lease, rent, etc.

ACLfan