• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by daylight4449

MEC407 wrote:Aside from different gear ratios for different applications (high speed passenger, medium speed freight, low speed switching), I thought a Blomberg truck was a Blomberg truck was a Blomberg truck. Steamer (or anyone else), can you clarify what the differences are between the Blomberg trucks used on an passenger F7 vs. the Blomberg trucks used on a freight F7 vs. the Blomberg trucks on a freight/passenger GP7 vs. the Blomberg trucks on a freight GP9? And are we talking about major differences here or are they relatively minor?
Wish I could say. Lately my readings and research have gone towards the LNER A3s, so I'm a bit rusty. Aside from the gear ratios, I'd imagine that they're all the same.
  by Mikejf

Was the 4268 purchased new as a passenger locomotive or was it purchased for freight service like MEC's F3s?
  by MEC407

Good question. My guess is that passenger service was not considered the primary reason for these locomotives, otherwise they would have ordered FP7s instead.
  by p42thedowneaster

Hello,
Actually I think the b&m f7s were originally outfitted with steam generators, but were quickly removed. You'll also note that they were painted maroon and gold, rather than McGinnis blue. I'm not sure why...the older ft and f3 units seemed to run frequently on the Canadian passenger runs.
  by Cosmo

p42thedowneaster wrote:Hello,
Actually I think the b&m f7s were originally outfitted with steam generators, but were quickly removed. You'll also note that they were painted maroon and gold, rather than McGinnis blue. I'm not sure why...the older ft and f3 units seemed to run frequently on the Canadian passenger runs.
B&M F-7's were delivered before the McGinnes era, hence: maroon & gold vs blue.
  by 44 tonner

True... I would say that they were a multi-unit... as in, when they were bought the thought being was that they could do passenger or freight... But soon it was realized that freight was the only thing left, and they were put to freight... just my thoughts.

Wendell
  by Reader#108

I think, and Wendell probably knows more about this than I do......that they were a cab unit and then a B-Unit frequently....

I was at Conway Scenic today and took the ride to Conway.....LOTS of people there!

Looking forward to Steam In Snow next weekend!!!!!!!
  by highrail

Great shot of 7470 on the 2012 "Classic Trains" calendar...December photo.

This is the second year that a shot of the Conway Scenic is included. According to the copyright...looks like a photo by Kevin Madore. Nice job!

The calendar is great, with a variety of steam shots from around the country.

Steve
  by Dick H

The CSRX Facebook Page is reporting that the January 7th
Steam in the Snow train is sold out. Bring on the snow...
  by Cosmo

Dick H wrote:The CSRX Facebook Page is reporting that the January 7th
Steam in the Snow train is sold out. Bring on the snow...
YAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!