Railroad Forums 

• Possible Pan Am paint scheme?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#295705  by paulrail

I wondered what the Pan Am locomotives would look like if they were repainted in a B&M blue, white and Guilford gray paint scheme, using a similar paint pattern as today's big "G" engines.

Here are a couple of shots of my model GP-38 done in a potential new paint scheme. I wonder if Mr. Mellon and Mr. Fink would be willing to spend the bucks to repaint the Guilford engines ? It would be expensive, no question, given the number of locos they have.

What do you think ?

Paul

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... y=PAULRAIL

#295742  by SPACEMONKEY

I think they look great! Pan Am might paint one or two, (maybe for the VIP coach train they have?) but I can't see them paying to re-paint anything, they don't like to pay or paint!

#295833  by MEC407

Nice job. That's a GP35 though, not a GP38. But that's OK; PAR still has a lot of GP35s. :wink: You could change it to ST 209, 212, or 214, and it would be even more prototypical.

I'm sure they will start repainting locomotives eventually. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it'll never happen. When a locomotive goes in for overhaul, they will determine whether or not it needs new paint -- i.e. is the old paint falling off and allowing the metal to rust? If yes, they'll repaint it. If no, they won't.

I, too, thought that the business train might be the first to receive new paint... but I just realized that the cars (ST 100 and 101) were repainted not very long ago... couple of years ago at most, I think... so it may be a while before those get repainted. Maybe they'll replace the orange stripe with a blue stripe. A "patch job" if you will. Who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

As far as the expense is concerned: if they're willing to invest $30K in each locomotive to add K9 APU, I think they could probably afford a simple "blue dip" paint job. :wink: It wouldn't be any more expensive than the old paint scheme; they'd simply be using a different color.

#295937  by Jonny Bolt

Cool pics. I saw them on nerail the other day. Thats the way they should look, but ya, they wont paint em all. They wont even dish out money for a decent web design. Go to the CN, CSX, or other RR site and then look at Gillfids site LMAO. Creeps. Do they ever do anything right?

I see you got "B&M 319" on your model. I thought 319 was an MEC GP40?

#295971  by paulrail

Thanks guys;........glad you like the paint scheme. Oops, you are right, I did type in "GP-38" instead of GP-35! The guys at my Club (SSMRC) even mentioned how "short" the GP-35 seemed!....duh! :(

I looked in Mike Clements' "Trackside New England 2000" for a Guilford engine roster. Somehow, I misread the list and put 319 as a B&M unit. I went back and checked and saw that 319 was indeed a MEC GP-40! How the hell did I mix that up?..........must be "old timers" disease setting in! (I'm 63,...ancient! LOL) :-)

I'm definitely going to change the engine to ST 214, which, I believe was not a "high nose" GP-35 unit. :wink:

Again, many thanks for the corrections. I really do try to model units as prototipically as possible, .......within reason;...i.e,....$$$$$$s.

Paul

#295986  by MEC407

Hey, nothin' wrong with not being 100% prototypical. Sometimes the fantasy models are the most fun!

#296089  by l008com

Its too bad they didn't just procrastinate a little more when it came to painting B&M locomotives Black, then they'd all still be blue and they could just re do the letters :-D