Railroad Forums 

• Possible ONCT customer?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#359503  by nessman

I visited Regional Computer Recycling & Recovery in the old Iron City Door and Sash factory at the terminus of the ONCT in West Victor today (visit was work related). They said they're not using the rail siding on their property yet, but they do move out a fair amount of scrap metal and other recyclables every week via dumpster and trailer. If I heard him correctly, he said they fill a 30' dumpster of scrap metal every day. My guess that would be an open gon a week give or take?

#359707  by BR&P

ONCT has had discussions with that firm a couple months ago. At this point the move does not lend itself to rail but they aware of the availability of rail service. Maybe things will change in the future.

#359719  by nessman

Sounds like their business is growing (they outgrew their facility in Rochester and moved to Victor in the last year or so) and at the rate people are buying computers and disposing of their old ones... it's looking good for them.

I guess I'll need to do my part and offload more surplus computer equipment to them to move out by rail! :-)

#361082  by bwparker1

That would be quite a bit of scrap metal if they could fill a rail car. What is the capacity of a gondola in cubic yards? Why are scrap gondolas low sided, is it due to the weight of the commodity, or is there practical reason that metal gons are low sided? I have always wondered about that.

BWP

#361145  by Mike Walsh

I would think that low sided gons are designed for ease of loading/unloading (such as by tractor) thus not requiring any expensive/large/paininthe.... machinery