Railroad Forums 

• Possible end of 125 mph operation on Penn Line due to non-vital implementation of I-ETMS?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1539385  by hxa

From MARC's latest PTC annual report:
2) Due to I-ETMS not being approved as a vital system, MARC is forced to reduce the speed of the current 125 mph service to 90 mph when IETMS goes active on the NEC.
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0038-0040

It seems that MARC has equipped all its diesel engines with on-board substems of I-ETMS, the freight PTC, hoping the NS-funded installation of I-ETMS overlay on Amtrak's PW line would power its own service. But the I-ETMS overlay turns out to be a non-vital (and possibly cheaper?) overlay on the existing track circuit/ACSES II system, so that any trains relying on the system may not run above 90 mph by law after the PTC deadline.

The 6 HHPs owned by MARC, on the other hand, have been equipped with ACESE II on-board systems under an agreement with Amtrak. But what is ironic is that all MARC cab cars are I-ETMS only. Given that MARC runs push-pull trains with these cab cars, I don't think there will be a way to operate Penn Line service over 90 mph once they run under the supervision of I-ETMS.

Any thoughts?
 #1539429  by STrRedWolf

From the report:
Name of Railroad or Entity Subject to 49 U.S.C. § 20157(a): Maryland Area Regional Commuter
Railroad Code: MACZ
Annual PTC Implementation Progress Report for: 2018
PTCIP Version Number on File with FRA (basis for goals stated): 1.8
Date of Submission: 3/29/2019
From the site:
Date Posted: Apr 10, 2019
Old document. Where's the 2019 report?
 #1539480  by hxa

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:36 pm From the report:
Name of Railroad or Entity Subject to 49 U.S.C. § 20157(a): Maryland Area Regional Commuter
Railroad Code: MACZ
Annual PTC Implementation Progress Report for: 2018
PTCIP Version Number on File with FRA (basis for goals stated): 1.8
Date of Submission: 3/29/2019
From the site:
Date Posted: Apr 10, 2019
Old document. Where's the 2019 report?
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0038-0046
The issue is not mentioned anywhere, but it seems that they still decide to operate with I-ETMS on NEC.
 #1539534  by STrRedWolf

2019 report says....
MARC Penn Line - 75.2 route miles - I-ETMS (MARC diesel locomotives and cab cars) and ACSES-II (MARC electric locomotives) - MARC trains
with ACSES-II are operating with PTC; I-ETMS is not yet operational for MARC trains, and the host railroad has received an Alternative
Schedule for I-ETMS implementation. MARC is actively coordinating I-ETMS implementation with the host railroad.

MARC completed interoperability testing with its host railroads and continued operations of I-ETMS on 2/3 lines and ACSES on its third line,
with I-ETMS testing underway for the third line.

MARC is ready to begin Revenue Service Demonstration (RSD) for its trains to operate I-ETMS on the Northeast Corridor, but the COVID-19
coronavirus pandemic has delayed start of RSD and schedule is unknown at this time.
I think there's no issue with I-ETMS on the NEC.
 #1539605  by STrRedWolf

Backshophoss wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:35 pm Red,ACSES is used on the NEC,I-ETMS is used on CSX
MARC needs both to be compliant.

Seems like the MARC diesels are only good to 99 mph! :P
From the 2019 filing, I-ETMS is good to on CSX, and being worked on in time for the NEC with a different timeline that's been filed. ACSES is good to go. Add on top of that that MARC barely goes over 100 in local service, I don't see the problem -- they'll run diesels in local and HHP-8's express service, and tweak the schedule and consists as appropriate.