• POSITION LIGHT SIGNALS

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: metman499, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, Franklin Gowen, David, Marty Feldner

by msernak

Did the LV ever use Position Light Signals like the Pennsy? Several years ago while walking the mainline near Pattenburg Tunnel, I found a signal hood (the metal piece that helps to shield the sun) that is simlar to the ones the Pennsy used. It was a bit smaller.
  by Keith Bednar

Yes the LV used position lights. I have several photos of them in use on the LV main. The last place I remember them being used was a "dwarf" position light that gave the signal to come off the Barber Quarry branch at Union Street tower.and that was around 1970.

by Tamping Pick

PPR type(postion light) was used I believe EAST of NK. Can't verify when, but seen pics. of them in some early LV pics(1900's).
1924 LV rule book does give diagrams of PRR type postion light signals.
First page of diagrams of these says"The following signals will appear where conditions require their use".
Shows upper and lowers.
Hope this helps, but there lots of different aspects,in many pages.
PICK

by Tamping Pick

And as a after thought, those dwarfs were TWO light DIAGONALS were used only in BI-Directional trackage. Were only at the real busy interlockings. As the LV was mainly set up as a 2 track RR, 1 east and one west. The 1/3rd height semaphore at Lehighton is ,I think of only 3 on the RR.But as far as mainline postion signals go, east of Union,NJ. PICK
  by jmp883

That 1/3rd height signal appears in one of the Morning Sun LV books. I've always wondered what the reason was for a signal of that height.

Anyone know?

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL (& LV)
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29
  by Keith Bednar

Union street tower was in Allentown and the position light signals WERE used around Catasauqua and Laurys Station for sure. I have a photo of the signal bridge at Laurys Station and will try to photo it and send it to you if you would like. I do not have a scanner so I can't do it that way. I was looking for my copy of Railroads of the Lehigh River Valley. It is there where I think the picture of Catty interlocking shows the position lights. When my wife comes home I ask her wher she hid it, because I sure can't find it right now. I will let you know for sure. Good luck.
  by Keith Bednar

You can see a photo of the position light signals in Bert Pennypackers book "Eastern Stem Pictorial" It shows the signals in use at Treichler and also they were used at Easton at the tower until as late as 1963. I have not yet found the photo from Catty but I have the picture from Laury's signal 1021. I have been told they were used at other places and I will try to dig up some more information on them. Also in the book LVRR east Of Mauch Chunk shows the signals at West Portal on page 81 and Pattenburg 82. There is also a shot at Three Bridges on page 105 and Flemington Jct on page 106. So I would say they were in use over a large part of the LV at one time.When I dig up the other information I will pass it on. Take er easy.
  by Keith Bednar

I could be wrong about the date on the position lights at Easton. There is a diesel under them though. I also found a photo of a position signal in Wilkes Barre on Page 263 of Archer's great book on the LV. I will keep searching for the other photos. take er easy

by Tamping Pick

Keith and other members,
The signals that remain at CATASAUQUA,PA are of the original CTC type installed by LV.They are on somewhat like cantilevers, but are not cants.(forget the name of them,damn)These are plainly seen on LV and LNE videoes. They are not Pos. signals Keith POSITION LIGHT signals way pre date your hire on LV.
Other than the dwarfs.
PICK
  by Keith Bednar

Pick... You are the reason I am taking this forum off my computer. I never said that the signals at Caty were position light signals NOW!!What is there now are GRS searchlight style signal, or what is left of them. I said they were there in the past. As the question was posted " did the LV ever have position light signals"??You freakin know it all's make me want to puke.If you would sit back and listen for once in your life you may learn something instead of shooting off your mouth.Just ask PICK he knows everything!!! What a jerk!!! So we should call this the Pick forum as you are the only person that knows anything, Have you received any calls from George W to get the war figured out???

by Tamping Pick

Keith,now what the heck did I do now?!! You stated about the postion signals at Catasauqua,Pa. were postion light, well these seem to be single target,and before that they were "smores".These are plainly seen on videosand still photos, both LNE and LV,(PA's passin by) and I think 1 RDG /Ironton shot.. And I was worng on the diagonials, LV had both Horizontal light and "smores' type dwarf lights. Flame me some more and I'll PROVE ya wrong again. I'm not being a smarty, but I have the stuff in front of me.PICK
  by jmp883

I had posted this question earlier on this thread and am hoping someone knows the answer. I've read through all the books I have on the LV as well as other resources I have and have been unable to find any reason for a signal of that height. If anyone could shed a little light on this type of signal I'd greatly appreciate the information.

As shown in the Morning Sun LV books, there is a signal at Lehighton that is much shorter than a full-height signal, but much higher than a dwarf signal. What is the reason for a signal of this height?

Again, any information will be greatly appreciated.

Long Live The EL (and LV)

PS-Let's not turn this into a flame forum, we're all railfans....let's keep the postings strictly railroad-related and respect each others thoughts and ideas. It'll definitely be for the better. :D

by 56-57

Why, it was that height to make it awkward and annoying to maintain! Also, there was an engineer who would be leaving eastbound, reach out his hand, and grab his lunch off the top of the mast. His wife would walk down and put it there on her way back from shopping downtown. They lived over in Jamestown, and while he was signing in at the yard office, she'd be downtown picking up fresh ham for his lunch.

Now THAT'S a good fabrication if I do say so myself! :D

Mike

Sorry jmp883, I really don't know.
  by jmp883

56-67,

I like your theory........if the signal lamps are powerful enough they could probably keep his meal warm for him as well. :D

Long Live The EL (and LV)

by Tamping Pick

All I know is what a old LV employee told me before he died in '88. That small "smore" at lehighton was a train order board that got lifted after crews changed and the orders verified to go east into NY division track. Crews were also changed here.W.B. crews would jump off and go back east here. I'll look deeper into this board at Lehighton. Only one I know of on the whole R.R. I like the warm lunch/wife thing the best. Remember LV didn't have any radios,other than lunchbox types, all controll was signals and phones/ orders. I don't want to flame anyone, but there are other threads that are easily answered by some former employees in this forum.
PICK