Railroad Forums 

• Posh couple steal pregnant woman's reserved seats.

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1523872  by David Benton

"A pregnant mum who reserved train seats for her three children and herself has shamed a couple online after they reportedly refused to move.

Amanda Mancino-Williams, 37, was travelling with her children on the CrossCountry train from Cheltenham to Nottingham in the UK when she ran into a "posh" couple who wouldn't budge from her reserved seats."
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/ ... d=12281194
 #1523974  by NaugyRR

I read this the other day. I think the conductor made a good choice, but I can only imagine what the situation would be like if it played out elsewhere, on an Amtrak train for example.
 #1524067  by David Benton

I suspect the older couple were of the opinion that kids should give up their seats for elders. Probably old fashioned now , but when we were brought up , that was the case in NZ at least .
However I do remember my diminutive aunt storming on to the railcar to move 2 middle aged large people taking us 2 kids reserved seats. I don't think its the "posh" angle, more of a age thing.
I agree the guard did the right thing.
 #1524248  by johnthefireman

Like you I grew up believing that kids should stand for adults, as that's what we had to do when I was young. But I think reserved seats are different. If you've reserved the seat you have a right to sit in it. You may choose to give it up if you see someone who needs it more, but the elderly couple were completely in the wrong by refusing to surrender the seats. I think the guard did the right thing by upgrading the family to first class and avoiding conflict, but if there had been no other seats available, then the elderly couple should have been told to move.