Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Naval Shipyard

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#143162  by b&m 1566

Well it’s almost certain that the shipyard in Portsmouth, NH will be closing, most likely by 2008 according to outside sources. Rumor has it that its going to become a National Park, given the fact is the oldest navy base in the US. When talking about it with some people the other day someone made a comment about a train being used as part of the Park. I don't know the area to well and thought I would bring it up. If the shipyard does close and become a National Park what is the chances of a small railroad operation to offer shuttle service from the downtown Portsmouth area to the shipyard? The tracks are still there whether in use or not, I don't know. I have seen freight cars on the track before, but that was a little over 10 years ago. Would it be worth it to put a shuttle train in, is the scenery good enough to operate a scenic railroad? There are enough tourists in the area to support such a business and if the shipyard does close and become a park, I would believe that would bring more people to the area. Thoughts and opinions are welcomed, because I know nothing of this, but maybe someone does. I have heard that the ship yard may close but having it become a park is news to me. (Note: in the beginning I said Portsmouth, NH; I said that because they found more maps showing it belongs to NH and not ME, which is bringing it back to the Federal Supreme Court to decide once again.)
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#143178  by Noel Weaver

The shipyard is referred to as the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard but it is
actually located in Kittery, Maine.
I have never seen anything stating that the railroad over to the shipyard
is out of service so I assume that it is still in use although maybe not too
much in use.
Noel Weaver

#143250  by Ed Canney

Knowing the how the government works, nothing is a sure bet yet. According to an article in today's Boston Globe, the BRAC is considering overturning Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld's proposal to shutter Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washi ... ortsmouth/

#143270  by ewh

Are the government engines still at the Yard? There were 2 that sometimes could be seen at the B&M interchange.

#143304  by wolfmom69

The Govt. kepy a couple of industrial switchers,Porters I think(there is a good article about the PNS and ST rail ops. in a Railfan(I think?) magazine piece within the last decade;I will dig it out if I can find it). Special moves,with a DOD caboosee,and armed guards,for nuclear "refueling" were the last moves. There is also a team track in Kittery,just before the rails enter the base.

I'd like to see the base get some "industry",that would mean use for the rails inside the facility(and jobs) but doubt it would happen! The "yuppies" have already had condo/boutique "plans",as well as the "park"

There was an attempt,by a serious developer,to covert the century old prison into office space,but the infrastructure was too old and expensive to convert. This Prison,should BE USED,AS IS! Name your "favorite" criminal type,or terrorist,and send them there! Ok,its not P.C.,and the ACLU would freak out! So What!?

Based on the lack of rail,being revitalized into Pease AFB,when it became an industrial park,I wouldn't count on PNS getting rail,especially with the drawbridge to maintain. Only real obstacle to Pease,was the grade the crossong over the Spaulding Tpike!

Bud :(

#143774  by b&m 1566

wolfmom69 it sounds like your saying the line is not used anymore, if so when was it last used. I do remember about 10 years ago give or take there were some rail cars sitting on a siding just before entering the shipyard. I have seen pictures on the internet (can remember if it was nerail or some other site) with B&M engines crossing the draw bridge bound for the shipyard. Pictures were taken in the late 1960’s early 1970’s; I wish I could find them to put the link up.
Also I have notice that part of the draw bridge is missing. Well not missing but the lower part of the bridge that support the tracks has been pulled up and pushed back onto the tracks. The section is located on the east side of the bridge just before the end of the bridge. The thing is though is that it looks like it was designed to do this. Does anyone have a clue as to what I’m talking about? If not tell me and I will take a picture of it when I’m up there and will post it.

#143803  by wolfmom69

Geez,B&M 1566 don't have to YELL at me! I know exactly te section of the bridge that is kept in the open position,on East end. It is kept that way to allow recreational/fishing boats the right of way,as there is so little rail use,if any,now. Last train I saw,actually it was in Portsmouth Yard,by Gary's Discount,(where i go frequently to get cigarettes for close t0 10 bucks cheaper than Maine),was in late 90's,as I had our Border Collie with me(and she's been gone to the great Frisbee chasing heaven for about 5 years).

It was a DOD train,complete with a yellow DOD bay window caboose,and armed guards(when we were there,in Gary's parking lot,having some pizza,an idiot railfan from Mass.,brought out the armed guard from said caboose,by getting up next to caboose and the 2 or 3 nuclear cars,on the tracks,to take photos!(hauling in fuel for a sub refuel,and hazard waste to be removed). Guard afterwards,came over an patted the collie,and had choice comments about the "railfan/photographer"(not!). Good thing this incident was prior to 9/11 !!!!. :(

The Railfan article mentions,has photos,of "waste water" and waste oil tank cars,coupled to a Porter 65(?) tonner from early 90's in the yard.

The tracks you saw at the yard entrance,is adjacent to what was a "team track",at least in mid 80's(building materials dealer I think,used it). The west end of lead to draw was used in 2004 winter for road salt cars to be loaded from freighters.

Be interesting to see,if yard closes,HOW,any "low level" nuclear rubble moves out! Safe Handling Rail,and the Maine Eastern have had much revenue from the demolition of Maine Yankee plant in Wiscasset. Concrete rubble etc; very low level,shipped in covered,and even uncovered DJJX gons.

Have no idea how many buildings at PNS are for "nuclear fuel"',if any?

Was down there 2 weeks ago,and railcrossing on Rt. 1 in Kittery,shows plenty of rust!!!

Bud

#143866  by Cowford

where i go frequently to get cigarettes for close t0 10 bucks cheaper than Maine
Bud, shouldn't you be buying your cigarettes in Maine in order to help support all of those Maine rail projects like the Rockland branch rebuild? :P

#144214  by b&m 1566

wolfmom69 wrote:Geez,B&M 1566 don't have to YELL at me!
I was not yelling at you but only trying to make sure if I was understanding what you were saying. I'm sorry if you took it that way. :(