Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1561316  by arthur d.

Tied down and shut down, the 506 is on the pad in Portsmouth yard. Its been a very long time since I've seen a loc. left in the city on a weekend. Particularly during the winter.
 #1561890  by MECFAN

DO-1 went out of Portsmouth this afternoon with 503 / 345 and 3 Boise an 15 propane. There are loaded lumber and propane cars in Dover for them so maybe a trip in tonight or tomorrow.
 #1562012  by MECFAN

DO-1 tied down at Highliner tonight with 3 Boise 1 Tyco and 15 propane should get rolling between 9 and 10 am Thursday
 #1562027  by coopercat1

Why tie down at Highliner? The yard is only a couple of miles further. Is this some way to address the complaints about the noise and fumes from the locomotives?
 #1562033  by Jonathan603

Yes I believe so. It seems that whenever hazardous loads are in Portsmouth they keep them at Highliner instead of the yard....

345 is the power, 503 is sat in the yard. 2 engines in Portsmouth!
 #1562085  by MECFAN

503 has an APU on it so they can leave it in the yard, 345 does not have an APU and must stay running so they leave it at Highliner. They sometimes leave non APU units at Gosling Road also..
Hazmat cars can't be left in the yard.
 #1562631  by Jonathan603

According to my photos it looks like they painted some of it in may 2019 and it looked fully painted by July of that year. Can’t say for sure on the west side of the building tho as I don’t have many pics of that side.
 #1562697  by coopercat1

Thanks! The last time I was there in person it was grey with white trim, at least what I could see from Ash Swamp Road. Looks good in maroon and yellow.